Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

96 Civic: Speakers, Subs, Amp, Radio/Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
HCF Member
Default 96 Civic: Speakers, Subs, Amp, Radio/Center

I just bought a 1996 Civic Dx. Everything in the car is factory. I want to look into new parts for the car (center sound system, front speakers, rear speakers, subs/amp) but do not know a whole lot about which brands are best or much about the specifications of the speakers such as frequency response, sensitivity, and ceramic tweeter size.

The specifications for my car are:
Radio/Stereo Opening: Oversized
Front Speakers: 6.5 (1.8 depth)
Rear Speakers: 6x9 (1.8 depth)

What brand or specific models are best that would work with these sizes?
Also, where is the best place to buy?
Is overstock.com a very good source for any of these things? I have seen good deals on enclosed subs but do not really know exactly what I am looking for.

Also, in what order should i buy the parts? I am limited in money and cannot buy everything at once. What should i buy first and what should I buy last?
Please help me with any information on speakers, subs, amps, center consoles, etc

Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

Best internet site to buy car audio from -- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vPetZXe5IIP/

Order in which to buy everything:
1)Deck
2)Speakers
3)Amp & Wiring
4)Subwoofer(s)

Crutchfield will allow as for your vechile specifications and will only show you car audio that is compatible with your car. I recommend apline type r speakers all around. Just about any Deck will do. Look around and find what stuff fits in your budget GL!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

Thanks!!
That helped a lot.
Right now I am looking at center consoles;

which looks better:
Dual XDMA6855 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDM6...5.html?tp=5684

or

Sony Xplod CDX-GT330 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT33...0.html?tp=5684

??? both $99.99

Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

im not a big duel or sony fan. Sorry. I like alpine and pioneer.

But for pure looks the duel looks better imo.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Dual sucks. Sony is okay. Pioneer is nothing special. Alpine is better.

And croninc, the Dual looks cheaper in person... cheap flimsy plastic.

6x9's suck, put something else in the rear if possible, like 6.5"

Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 AM
HCF Member

Those were the best two I could find for the price I'm looking for.

I was also looking at this pioneer model:
Pioneer DEH-1100MP http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301100...P.html?tp=5684.
The only thing I didn't like about this model was that it has a 14 RMS Power Output (compared to the dual's and sony's 17), but they all had the same max of 50.
Also, it only had a 2-channel preamp output, which means I couldn't use it for subs if I got them. Both the Sony and Dual had 4-channel, which would work fine.

How is JVC as a brand? I found one like the Sony, Dual, and Pioneer but I just didn't like how it looked at all.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

Dont buy from crutchfield!

Go there and use them for fitment and reviews and all that. But buy from a different place and youll save 100's.

woofersetc.com is a good place

But personally. I would buy all my stuff from the classifieds on caraudio.com I got a basslink for just paying shipping. A nice 4 channel cadence amp for 75 shipped. And my wiring kit for 15 shipped.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The Dual doesn't have sub output either, just front and rear. As you're thinking of fitting a sub in the future, sub output is very useful. You probably should look for triple outputs, which means moving up a little in price. Most models that Crutchfield sells for about $150 (but as noted, available cheaper elsewhere) will have them.

You are unlikely to hear the difference between 14 and 17 watts RMS. Ignore the maximum ratings. If you want to play it real loud, consider not using the internal amplifier, use a separate 50 to 100 watt per channel amplifier for the front and rear speakers. This would require triple outputs from the head unit.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by soccerdudejrg
Those were the best two I could find for the price I'm looking for.

I was also looking at this pioneer model:
Pioneer DEH-1100MP http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301100...P.html?tp=5684.
The only thing I didn't like about this model was that it has a 14 RMS Power Output (compared to the dual's and sony's 17), but they all had the same max of 50.
Also, it only had a 2-channel preamp output, which means I couldn't use it for subs if I got them. Both the Sony and Dual had 4-channel, which would work fine.

How is JVC as a brand? I found one like the Sony, Dual, and Pioneer but I just didn't like how it looked at all.
I've played around with the new (like the one in that link... 2009 models) Pioneer headunits at Best Buy and they all feel really cheap/flimsy, especially the buttons. I would not recommend one. I was considering buying one until I touched it and found out that it's flimsy.

I also played around with a JVC I was thinking about getting. It seemed pretty decent. I know JVC makes good home audio products. I still want an Alpine though, I just can't find one with a front 3.5mm jack and that has blue backlit buttons.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 06-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 2000Ex
Dont buy from crutchfield!

Go there and use them for fitment and reviews and all that. But buy from a different place and youll save 100's.

woofersetc.com is a good place
Exactly what is wrong with buying from an AUTHORIZED dealer and having the full manufacturer's warranty? Sure you will pay more at Crutchfield BUT Woofer's Etc. is NOT an authorized dealer for many of the products they sell! Try to get an item serviced that is covered by the Woofer's Etc. warranty and let me know how well that works out for you.

Originally Posted by 2000Ex
But personally. I would buy all my stuff from the classifieds on caraudio.com I got a basslink for just paying shipping. A nice 4 channel cadence amp for 75 shipped. And my wiring kit for 15 shipped.
The fact that you even mentioned caraudio.com tells me everything I need to know about you!

Quick Reply: 96 Civic: Speakers, Subs, Amp, Radio/Center