Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

98 Civic Cd player INSTALATION HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
HCF Member
Default 98 Civic Cd player INSTALATION HELP

ok so im about to buy a cd player for my 98 civic ex. right now i have the stock cd player (the one that the radio is up top and the cd player is down where the cup holders are) so i went to best buy to look at cd players and i asked them about the install and since i have KEyless entry they have to keep the stock radio in and tuck it somwhere behind my dash so my keyless will still work. SO I was wondering if anyone has a DIY on this sort of cd player installation for a 98 civic with keyless entry because I really dont want to pay them $100-$150 to do it.

Thanks bros

Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Default RE: 98 Civic Cd player INSTALATION HELP

AHH the dredded T harness issue. This is a true pain in the a$$ install. As with the 01 install, i know it sounds like alot of work, but this is the way to do it RIGHT.

Drop the glovebox, and as i recall theres a 10 mill black bolt and maybe a philips there. should losen the right side of the center dash piece.

Next go to the driver side, remove the screws under the dash (again like a 10 mill or a philips, forget exactly where, but i think most of them under the dash are philips) then theres a pocket i believe that needs removed on the left side of the steeringwheel that has a philips up in it. after you take out these screws/bolts the driverside dash will drop down.

Next theres again an odd combination of 10 mills and philips holding on the center section, take them out, and it will come out as well.

Yet again, as with every other civic ever created, after the main center section is removed, there are the classic 2 silver (may be 7mill in this year) usually 8 millimeter bolts/philips screws holding in the radio and the surrounding dash. Remove them and u can remove the radio.

The easiest way to do the T harness, but im not sure what all you have at ur disposal, is to remove the tape player (if you have one) in the bottom section, and put some form of block piece or some filler on there, and place the factory radio in that area, its a pain in the nut$, but itll go.

Sorry this one isn't as precise as my guide to the 01 and ups, but i haven't done one for about 4 months now, but you should be able to get it from that. ALL the bolts and screws u removeto take the dash pieces out are black except the two silver ones holding the actual radio in. If you take out one thats anythign but black, you didn't need to take it out. If you still dont get it, post a picture of your dash on here, and itll all come back to me. Hope it helps and good luck!!

Old 05-03-2006, 01:49 AM
HCF Member

im getting an alpine deck from crutchfield and they send detailed instuctions on how to do it, but if i decide not to get it from them your directions are SURE to help me

Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 AM

Good thinkin, in my opinion alpines are the best on the market. I had 3 of them in my explorer (1 headunit, a screen, then a touchscreen) and then i took out the touchscreen to put in my civic and decided to go with a kenwood and that was a mistake. I miss my alpines....

Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

if you plan on doing your ride up, just go out and get an alarm then swap out your head unit...this way you do not need to worry about leaving the stock radio in there...IMO

Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

Im an Eclipse man myself. But the crutchfield way is a nice piece of mind really. Because once you buy a prodeuct, they will sit with you and help you install it.