Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp Power on Passenger Side.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
HCF Member
Default Amp Power on Passenger Side.

Ok, so I bought this Civic not too long ago. I was wired for everything, but didn't have anything except the two front door speakers. The thing I need help with is the amp power cord. It was installed on the driver side of the car along the same side as all the speaker wires and RCA's AND it was too short to reach the battery from that side. I pulled it out and ran it along the passenger side and came to a road block. I have no idea where to run the power now. I pulled out the glove box to find vents and many other things blocking my way. I noticed a little hole with a rubber plug under the battery area and pulled out that plug to see carpeting (I think) though I cannot find the hole inside the car.

Does anyone know where I can run the amp power on the passenger side?.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Default RE: Amp Power on Passenger Side.

I run mine through the passenger side, to keep it away from the RCAs. Im not sure what model you have, but in my 98, what you have to do is run it under the skirting and plastics along the inside of the car and into the passenger foot well. Just above where the carpet stops there is a grommet, like a litte rubber seal in your fire wall with some wires comming through it. You just make a small cut in it and push your power cable through that. Then under the hood, you will need to take the battery off, and the little metal frame it sits on (again, assuming yours is the same as mine) to find the grommet and where the power cable shoud come out of. pull it up, reinstall your battery and bolt the power cable to it.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for your reply! I went back out to find a way through the firewall and took a wire clothes hanger with me. I pulled that rubber plug out again and pushed the wire hanger through. Amazingly it came right through to where the carpeting ends. Tightly wrapped the hanger around the wire and pulled it through to the other side. But one problem which is my own stupidity. I thought I would be able to hook it right up, but no. I forgot all about the fuse and switch that needs to be on the wire so when the car shuts off, so does the amp. So it's ran through, but once again the wire is not connected.

Oh, by the way, I have a '98 Civic EX

Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's better to punch a hole in the gromet as Chaos described so your wire isn't rubbing on the metal edge outside the gromet. You don't need a switch under the hood, just a fuse. The amp can get power constantly and the small "remote" wire from the head unit will turn it off when the head unit goes off when you turn the key off.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

Yea, that is a good idea about the gromet. Now just to remember where I put it...If I can't find it I don't think I'll have to worry too much as the wire cover is very thick.

I think I get what you're saying. My power cord runs into a spliter type thing. The AC in, then out to Power on the amp, then the other end goes to the remote (it's a thinner wire). Is this correct? I can take a pic if needed.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to run a small single wire from the head unit to the amp for the remote. Some RCA cables have a remote wire built in. It connects to a blue wire coming out of the head unit. This wire has 12 volts when the head unit is on but not when it is off. If you were to connect the remote terminal of the amp to a place that is always live, the amp will stay on all the time and drain your battery.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

Here is what is setup in my trunk. The part that confuses me is that extra red wire there. Maybe power for the subs? I'm guessing then that blue wire, I need to hookup to the head unit, and tighten it down to the remote screw of the amp.

The big red wire coming in from the top is to the battery. The one hooked up to the amp is the same power, just through the splitter.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

The remote line needs to be hooked up to teh head unit. You have to check what color the wire is offf the head unit but on my pioneer it was a yellow wire that was remote.

This is what turns the radio off and on with the car.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BX_Civic

The remote line needs to be hooked up to teh head unit. You have to check what color the wire is offf the head unit but on my pioneer it was a yellow wire that was remote.

i personally have never seen a radio that uses yellow as the turn on. it is usually 12 volt constant, but maybe your radio is different.

every radio that i have seen uses blue/white as the remote turn on wire, and if you cant find that use the ingnition which is usually red

and crunchytoast as far as your set up. use the red wire that you said you know goes to the battery, and hook that to 12 volt, hook the blue wire to the rem input, and hook up a ground wire (which i assume is the black wire in the pic). if these are done right, everything should work. and dont hook up the extra red wire to anything, and tape it off just to be safe, or pull it out of the car all together

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Sigracer10

ORIGINAL: BX_Civic

i personally have never seen a radio that uses yellow as the turn on. it is usually 12 volt constant, but maybe your radio is different.

every radio that i have seen uses blue/white as the remote turn on wire, and if you cant find that use the ingnition which is usually red

and crunchytoast as far as your set up. use the red wire that you said you know goes to the battery, and hook that to 12 volt, hook the blue wire to the rem input, and hook up a ground wire (which i assume is the black wire in the pic). if these are done right, everything should work. and dont hook up the extra red wire to anything, and tape it off just to be safe, or pull it out of the car all together
you sir are correct, it was the blue white one, i must have been thinking the 12v constant like you said.

Quick Reply: Amp Power on Passenger Side.