Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp Power on Passenger Side.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Amp Power on Passenger Side.

dito. blue remote turn on... red power, black or brown is ground.

that extra red wire was probably used for a active crossover unit. just remove that extra wire preaty simple!
JUST BE SURE!!!!!!! that you have that power wire FUSED within 1foot or LESS if posible of the battery terminal up front! otherwise if your wire shorts out on something it WILL TURN YOUR CAR INTO A SMORE MAKER!!!!! big fireball in short!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

that extra red wire was probably used for a active crossover unit. just remove that extra wire preaty simple!
JUST BE SURE!!!!!!! that you have that power wire FUSED within 1foot or LESS if posible of the battery terminal up front! otherwise if your wire shorts out on something it WILL TURN YOUR CAR INTO A SMORE MAKER!!!!! big fireball in short!!!

Yes. That is what I plan to pick up for about $20 when I get paid. I ran all the wiring and while I was doing it I completely forgot about the fuse needed then it donned on me. So I have all the wiring ran, but not hooked up to the batt yet.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

Why does it have to be so close to the battery? Personally I have done mine in the boot a few feet before the distriution block. As far as i can tell, the current still has to pass throught it so whats it matter where it is?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

see the fuse is mainly thier so if your power wire shorts out on the car body it will blow the fuse saving your car from a firewall death...
cause if you dont have a fuse on the power wire before it goes into the car... say the hood hinge closes on it cuting thru the rubber jacket, or if ya have it ran thru the firewall and overtime the wire rubbs on the metal which finaly cuts thru the jacket THEN it shorts out... starts smoking, starts glowing red hot THEN it bursts into flames while at the same time using all of the stock ground cables also have that much current flowing thru them running back to the battery and they do the same which will turn your car into a fireball..... and lets face it if your car turns into a fireball on the street.... 99% chance your not gonna be near ANYTHING or be able to think fast enough to be able to rip the battery terminal off which is preaty much dam near imposbile so the fire just spreads and spreads and spreads until its so burnt up the car is a complete loss!!!!

it can and DOES happen!!!!!
i myself screwed up my friends grandam that way puting in a stereo i quickly ran the power wire thru the door jam and quickly wired it to the battery without a fuse and afew seconds after she closed the door which pinched the power wire it was smoking like crazy quickly i poped the hood and had another friend grab a garden hose that was SO LUCKY to be right thier and turned on! so i was able to put the fires out while riping the s*** outat the battery cables.... luckely the car wasnt a total fire ball BUT car still wouldnt run... messed with the computer aparently and shop charged her like 1,600bucks to fix it!

needless to say spend that TINY bit of cash and buy a inline fuse and put it as close to the battery as ya can. its the cheapest insurance youll ever buy that could very well save your whole car from a firie death!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

Yeah. I knew something bad would happen if I hooked it up without the fuse so I knew I should get one before I even attempted to hook it up. I still can't find what I did with that grommet though. I would like to put it back in with a hole in it, even though the wire covering is very thick, and has a plastic sleeve over it.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya cannt find it just use a small rubber hose.... split it and roll the hose over the metal hole... get a grocery bag cut it in two... get some silicone preferably black to kinda hide it... then tape up the grocery bag up fron the bottom side... then put in the silicone with the wire still thru the hole as wel and then top it off and put the other piece over the top to give it alittle uniformity... if thats a word

preaty easy. those little gromets just disapear if ya let go of them! they blend in with about everything under the hood. LMFAO

Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

ya just remember that an inline fuse is made to protect THEWIRE NOT THE AMP. the fuses on the amp are made to protect the amp. along with what addiction said, if the current gets too high, the fuse will pop, and if anything is damaged, it will only be the 1 foot piece between the battery and fuse rather than the entire wire. so you will only have to replace that small piece rather than the entire wire.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 PM

Hmm, this kid is gonna go relocate his fuse....

Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

PLEASE DO... beter safe than sorry!
cause even tho it works and ya may NEVER have a problem with it... the risk is still thier... infact my 66impala... 1st car 1st system... i didnt use a inline fuse at all..... never had a problem with it..... BUT after about 8years i noticed it... HEY i didnt use a inline fuse... WOW shocking i never had any problems.... BUT i still went out and spent some money on a inline fuse and spliced it in ASAP...

Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

Yea, the hunt for the grommet was unsuccesful. I'll get somethin in there though lol. As for the inline fuse, that comes soon. After I pay my speeding ticket that I got 3 hours after I got the car LOL

Quick Reply: Amp Power on Passenger Side.