Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

AMP and Volt Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Default AMP and Volt Help

i just purchased a 95ex and he had installed in it 2 rockford amps.... and the one amp is hooked up to door speakers and the other the 1 sub.... ive noticed that when the amps and cd player come on the car starts to idle a 700rpms where as when its off it is 780.... i dont think that is supposed to do that... also ive found out that after a while of driving and the system turned on the volts of the car goes from 14.3 to a 12.6 volts constant.... i was told a bad alternator or a bigger capacitor...(i have a rockford 1 farad) any help or questions to help me... i have a duralast gold which is comparible to a optima battery... anyone have any comments or help please!!!

Old 02-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Default RE: AMP and Volt Help

Through the capacitor out, it isn't helping your current setup. In fact it is probably hurting it. A bigger capacitor isn't going to do anything in your situation except work you alternator harder.
uhmm, the duralast gold is nothing like the optima if I remember correctly. The optima is a dry, spiral cell deep cycle battery, where as the duralast gold is just alot cca w/ a 3 year warranty. It is the deep cycle technology that helps your car audio with the car turned off. With the car turned on it doesn't matter if you have 5 battaries, the power is all coming from the alternator.

Which brings us to your real problem: You have a 1995 car w/ probably an 80 amp alternator. That means your alternator is at least 11 years old, and is probably dieing. It is probably dieing because you are trying to pull more amperage out of it to your amps then it can supply. Which considering the car runs off the alternator, and your alternator isn't putting out any power at 12.6 volts(it's coming from the battery at that point), that would explain the engine running slower from lack of power.

Time for you to upgrade to like at least 110amp alternator.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:50 PM

hats off to you .... finally someone that can help.... thanks soo much any idea where i could pick one or what to ask the person at advance auto...???

Old 02-07-2006, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

Not to thread jack but wasn't there a DIY sticky on increasing the gauge of your battery cables from alt and to chassis improving the charge cycle slightly? I swore there was one and just looked around but I can't seem to find it... Could you possibly lead me in the right direction?

Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

Aha... It's referred to as the Big 3... but I still can't find it. Am I just blind?

Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 AM

Here it is on JBO

I considered the big 3 for the original poster, but from his description of his symptoms I don't the big three is going to be enough to help him. He will have to do the big 3 if he gets a new alty though

Old 02-08-2006, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

I think you're right as well. It made me think of the Big 3 and I've been having some problems myself that it may cure...

Thanks very much man..!