Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

buying new speakers

Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM
HCF Member
Default buying new speakers

I am trying to buy new speakers for my civic, the front if 6 1/2and the back is 5 1/4. I don't what speakers are good and whats bad, so can someone give me suggestions on what brand or kind of speakers? I'm on a budget of $100 for the front and the back speakers? is that a good price for both front and back speakers? or will 100 not get me that good of speakers? I don't need like extremely good speakers. I don't want speakers that require an amp.
thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

kind of hard getting decent speakers for front and rear all for under 100. but some good brands would be alpine, pioneer, infinity, polk, jbl, eclipse. search online to find the price you want. go to crutchfield.com and find some reviews for the speakers you want to see what others say about them

Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

what do you think is a good price range for the speakers? whats the difference between 2 way speakers and 3 way speakers? which should i get 2 way or 3 way?
i was thinking about these..
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-A642P.html#
any good?

Last edited by heydude110; 08-12-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

Well your shopping at the right website, thats a plus.

But I tell ya, you don't really need a 3 or 4 way speaker, unless you like killer ear dammaging high's.

I think a good value 2 way or even a 3 if the price is similar is just the ticket. You have to keep in mind though the mounting depth and total speaker measurments. Some 3 and 4 way's are a tad too large to fit stock housings in some cars, like door pannels and etc.

As for power, you are probably using either a stock, or aftermarket deck without a lot of power. The RMS raiting on most cd players is anywhere from 16 to 25 watts per speaker, which means you need to try and pair your speakers power requirements with that number. I would pick something that requires something around 25-35 watts RMS power to make sure your giving the speaker at least 75% of it's suggested power. A little underpower is ok, but too much will cause the speaker not to perform correctly at some volume levels.

For brands, I like Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, MB Quart, JL, probably even some Kenwood's or Kickers that don't want a ton of power.

Remember your replacing paper crap speakers if they are still stock, so any movement towards better speaker design is a huge step upward. If your penny pinching, match a set up and role with it.

Here's a few I would suggest to a friend:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-G1642R.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-G1342R.html

Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

thanks helped out a lot.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah those Pioneers look real good for the price. I put Infinity 2 ways up front and they are noticeably better highs than most, but at about $100 for them you wouldn't have any money left for the rears.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

Thats the biggest problem. Most speakers run at least 60 bucks or more a pair. I tend to look for last year's closeouts on pricey speakers, but remember your better more expensive speakers also work better amped, so you kind of have to upgrade everything.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

use crutchfield as a starting guide for what fits and how each speaker is reviewed, but buy them new on ebay.

For my current setup (front and rear speakers, 12" sub with box, 5ch amp, all new wiring) I think I spent $500 with shipping, but if I bought it at crutchfield or at a local store, it would've been over $800.

I run boston acoustic speakers, mtx sub, boss amp(cheap amp, but zero problems. I don't put the speakers up so loud I can't hear myself talk, but I like my music to come to life a little, nothing obnoxious though)

Last edited by inthezoneac; 08-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

yah i paid 100 for a brand new pair of alpine in the front than i have pioneer in the rear i would say about 160 for both for good quality speakers but if you want the best you spend about 100 more svae up a little more than hundered and get your self some speakers you will like alpine or pioneer or boston is good speakers

Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

Infinity Kappa's. They are pretty damn excellent. Alot of places recommend them(and people). Alpine would be my second suggestion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying new speakers