Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Custer keeps turning off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:07 AM
HCF Member
Default Custer keeps turning off!

Recently my cluster lights have been dimming off. Not all of them, pretty much just half.
The lights can't be burnt out because they come back once in awhile.....
I noticed this usually occurs after listening to my system loud.

I'm running 2 amps, and one 12" sub with a cap.

I was going to replace the light bulbs behind the cluster but I don't think this is the problem.

Anybody ever experience this?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be a crack in the printed wiring behind the cluster. Or the bulb sockets are not making good contact. Replacing all the bulbs is not a bad idea, but while you have the cluster out, inspect the contacts and solder joints (if any) as well.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 AM
HCF Member

Bump, I'm having the same problem.

With my lights on, the top left bulb inside the cluster is out. It used to come on and go off, but now it's just off so I have a half lit cluster.

I tried going to majestic honda to get a clear picture of what I need, but it's impossible to see anything on their diagram.

I think there's only 2 bulbs that come on with the headlights turned on, 1 for top left, 1 for top right, I just need to know what bulb I need.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it could be blown bulbs, but they are kinda rare to pop since they are so freaken dim stock.LOL

like already said, pull the cluster and inspect the foil ribben and connections for any damage... if they all acted up then id say maybe the dimmer but if only a few are messen up then it could just be a bad connection or bulb about to die.

you can pull the cluster out of any 96-00civic and splice into the 2 black wires that go to the top front 2 bulbs into a 12v source like your battery or battery charger and if your still not sure if the lights are still good then remove the small philips screws from the back of the cluster and pull the gauges out and then hook up the harness power wires again and then you can see if the bulbs are lit up or not, then you can move different bulbs around to see if its just the bulb or bad connection at that bulb.