Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Custom iPod Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Default Custom iPod Install

Hey everyone...

I'd had some serious problems with the Honda Music Link iPod Adapter (so much so that I wrote an article about it entitied Honda Music Link iPod Adapter Review), so I decided that I should just built my own adapter. I thought you all would like to know about it.

If you look here you can see what the driver sees. That is, a solidly mounted iPod which hooks up to the AUX input, and the only visible wire is the short one leading to the iPod's dock connector.

The rest of the photos, from the start of the process through the end, are all available here: iPod in 2006 Honda Civic (EX w/ Navigation System) » Second Version (Built-In).

Hopefully you'll find the photos useful. If you have any questions about the setup and/or how I made it, I'll do my best to answer. If you are interested in making something easier, the first iPod hookup I built is a good place to start. If you want to make one yourself, it contains about $30 in parts and the aforementioned link should give you all the info you need in order to do it. I might be willing to sell mine (it's currently unused) but I'm not sure yet...

Anyway, I hope you find it useful.

-Steve

Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Custom iPod Install

Wow, I'm impressed! That seems like quite the project. If you have the instructions written up, I'll gladly post this in the Do It Yourself section

Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

i need the instructions to load my nano.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

To load it with what?

-Steve

Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

Wow, I'm impressed! That seems like quite the project. If you have the instructions written up, I'll gladly post this in the Do It Yourself section
Thanks. It'd be rather difficult to do directions, per say, but I'll likely do an overview noting pinouts needed, parts list (if I can remember everything) total cost, etc. From the photos it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what to do if one has some basic electronics skills.

Probably the most complex thing there is etching the PCB which isn't really needed...

-Steve

Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: c0nsumer

To load it with what?

-Steve
er, do an install that is.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:17 PM

er, do an install that is.
Well, all I did was figure out what I wanted to do, then made it work... It's not like there is one particular set of instructions. The idea of a custom install is to make things how you want them. Why not come up with a method, put together a bit of info about it, then post it? Then it's useful to everyone...

-Steve