Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Dayton Reference Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Dayton Reference Subwoofer

Like I said before, Im going to do a floor mount install under the rear strut bar in my trunk. For now I went to wal mart and picked up one of those broken down scosche boxes and made a temp set up (the scosche box kits are actually a damn good bargain). I wired it up and turned it on. And I gotta tell ya, this is the best 10" I have ever heard. Dont be fooled by the pricing. They are selling these things direct. Judging by its sound and output, it would be well over $300 on the retail market. I put it up next to a 10" L7, it ate it. 2 Ininifty Reference 12's, smoked em, my old Jbl 12"?... all the Dayton had to do was look at it and it went whimpering home. This thing will eat all the bass my non fading head unit and amp will put out! It work beautiful from a 1 cubic foot box to a 2. This is a MUST for the SQ and listening only fanatics. Well, I guess if you wired to of their twelves in your trunk it probably and eventually cause disalighnment in your trunk door.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dayton Reference Subwoofer

Be careful with that box its a piece of $hit! I had one for about 2 weeks and it developed all kinda of leaks and it actually started falling apart. Then when i was replacing it I accidently dropped it (only like a 3 foot fall) and it totally broke!! Its held together with nails!!

So that sub requires at least a cubic foot of airspace? Ive been wanting a new sub but im not really wanting to have a box that big. Ive got it narrowed down to a dayton or an infinity perfect. I think my box is .75 cu ft, do you think with some poly fill that would be enough airspace for that sub?

Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

I dont see why it wouldnt be too bad. But about the box. They use screws... why would you use nails? Like I said its temporary anyway.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

The box I got at wal-mart was held together with nails and glue! (Mind you this was about a year ago) For a temporary gig i guess it'll last a couple weeks.

Wait, are you talking about you bought a kit for a box there or something? I thought you were talking about one of the ones they already have put together.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

temporary..who cares then, as long as it works and its cheap

Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: xjbmx

The box I got at wal-mart was held together with nails and glue! (Mind you this was about a year ago) For a temporary gig i guess it'll last a couple weeks.

Wait, are you talking about you bought a kit for a box there or something? I thought you were talking about one of the ones they already have put together.

No, scosche has these boxes that are broken down in a flat box. You buy it, then go home and build it. From there you can do extra things like put in brakets and stuff but I didnt.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

Here is the box you can buy. I didnt use the cheesy grill (the sub's xmax is too big for it anyway) though.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 AM

real playa ride with the titanic...... j/k glad you love your sub man, Godbless partsexpress for quality service and dirt low prices!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

^ agreed. I questioned them on that and they said go with the reference. These subs are acutally superior to the titanics.