Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Disabling Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Default Disabling Remote Start

I bought my car (2000 Civic EX) used and the previous owner had a remote start put on it even though it's a manual. The other day the button accidentally got pushed and my car jerked forward into a pole. The e-brake was engaged but I guess it wasn't strong enough to stop it (there's tire marks on the concrete from the rear wheels). I don't really use my auto start too much anyway so I was thinking of just disabling it. The problem is I'm not entirely sure what model it is. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Disabling Remote Start

there should be a ground off of the auto start. mechanism. just remove that and you should be fine. or you can just smash the peice on your key LOL ... don't do that

Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Well, if you have to ask, you'd be better off having qualified person to do this for you...

Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

easy way to disable it is remove the starter wire off the system....

you cut that wire and it wont be able to start anymore.....
just tape over the wires with some electrical tape so they dont short out on anything under the dash....

quick fix....
pull the trim panel off under the steering wheel on the dash.......
and follow the steering colum and find the BLACK/WHITE wire and find where the alarm systems wire conects to it... and just cut that wire....
and if the alarm system has a starter kill instaled then youll have to be sure that that BLACK/WHITE wire goes all the way thru the harness and not jumped...
if it is jumped then your car wont start with the key.... then just either conect the wires back together or if they are short just use alittle of the remote starter wire to goin the wires back together....
preaty simple for me.........

but what type of alarm/starter system is it?
if its a cheap system then it should just need that wire cut... BUT if its a good name system it should have the starter kill...

if thiers a small toggle switch under the dash just flick the switch... that should disable the remote starter........ depending if they instaled it that is...... i usualy just ground that wire myself but ive got an auto.........

Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM

What do you mean by "starter kill"? The car will turn off if the brakes are hit unless the keys are in so no one can jack it while it's autostarted if that's what you mean. The autostart will also shut off after a certain time like 5 or 10 minutes or something unless the keys are in. It does the chirp sound when I lock and unlock it and it has a whole alarm system with it that actually has an alarm sound not just the horn. I really like the alarm just not the autostart. Is there an easy way to tell what kind of alarm system I have on it? It has this remote if that helps determine anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiovox-Prestig...QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't get it off ebay... it's just what came with the car when I got it.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if its a paging system im preaty sure it would have a toggle switch if properly instaled.... BUT it might not....
but the paging remote control SHOULD say a name... you shoulda got a secondary standard remote control as well which it shoulda also had a name on it.... if thiers no name its gotta be a cheap rip off one....

but like i said check out the alarm system under the dash and find the larger wires.... if they are just conected to the factory large wires then you should just be able to cut the starter wire from the alarms brain or relay modual... and then try and start the car with the key if she starts your golden... if not track down the wiring more... it might be a green or purple wire which will also be large.

but if your not comfortable with doing it or even trying it... just take it to bestbuy or someplace that instals alarm/remote starter systems and just ask em how much they would charge to disable the starter wire........
this way if you only disable the starter wire youll still have the stop and go feature.....
so you can have the car running... push the brake pedal down, press the remote start button on the remote control and then turn the key off and the engine will or SHOULD still be running so you can run into a place and keep the car runnen without the keys in the ignition... and then jump back in the car put the keys back in and go

nice feature for ATMs, banks, or any quick in and out run.........

youd just have to be sure to keep it in nuetral and the Ebrake when geting out.... which shoul dbe easy enough...LOL

i wouldnt think they would charge to much just to take one trim panel off and cut one wire..... but best way to find out is to go and ask....

just tell em you only want the starter wire cut.....
and youll be golden! they should definatly know if its got a starter kill or not and how to put it back stock if it is...

since it doesnt sound like you know much about wiring thats what id sugest!
you dont wanna cut the wrong wire and not know how to fix it