Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

EG with instrument light problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Default EG with instrument light problems

Ok hey new to the forum I was reading a diy on another forum on doing led cluster lights so I got some off ebay and this is how it went. I posted this on another forum but no fix yet...

I went with some of these
They are T5 5050 LED SMD I was thinking that they would spread the light out nice

Name:  led5050.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  18.6 KB

I just did the cluster for now to see if I liked the color and how they spread the light.

Sorry no before pics kinda forgot till I was about 3/4 the way through

Name:  gaugelights.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  33.4 KB

I got them all in and the polaritys the right way they were looking pretty good not to sure if I liked the blue but oh well. Now for the ****ty part.

30 mins later decided to take the hatch instead of the truck to my daughters basketball practice. She is 7 even said I like your lights why are they blue. We get there I tell her make sure you lock the door. She gets out and closes the door and don't ask me how she does it but she shuts just the tip of her thumb in the door. Just trapping it in the little gap between the door and the body.the door was locked so I had to unlock the door and open it to set her free. So if that isn't bad enough get into the car to race home and turn on the lights and no dash lights. I think great turn the switch off and back on just the left side lights up. I think WTF??? then they start to all slowly turn on then they all go out and so does the climate control lights I figure ok its just a fuse and oh well not to far home I will drive home without dash lights. Then I start to smell burnt plastic son of a bitch is this car gonna burn up??? race home no smoke and the smell starts to go away. I took care of my daughter and went out to dig into the hatch. All the fuses are good pull back out the cluster and dig around pulled out the lights everything was looking good till I took out one of the lights and what do I find...

Name:  CIMG3316.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  31.9 KB

****ty *** light I wonder why the fuse didn't blow???
Also put another bulb in and no lights could have I burnt the bulb up and a wire at the same time? Right now I am thinking that I am going to have to pull the whole dash out to figure this out