Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

front speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
HCF Member
Default front speaker wiring

hey everybody

i just purchased some pioneer TS-A1672Rs and A6961R/Ss as an upgrade to my current stock speakers.

the speakers in the front of my car have a total of 4 wires [2 blue, 2 white] running to each speaker. why are there 4 wires and how can i wire them up to my new speakers?
can i just splice the wires together?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Jon

Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Default RE: front speaker wiring

Just take a look at how they were wired up and wire them the same way.One set most likely went to tweeter and one to woofer.My eclipse speakers used a four wire setup.I just hooked the two one blue and one white in for now,but mine do have a crossover on them.They will carry an amp later on.
You may possibly have a factory amp in the car,my wifes expedition had the factory amps and I disposed of those when I put in new stuff.maybe I helped you a little,maybe not.Hope so though.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

i dont think i would have an amp...if so, wouldnt it have been removed/bypassed when my alpine HU was installed?

so i need to just hook the same colored wires together? i dont think ill need my stock tweeter, as the speakers i bought are 3-way. would it really matter?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

Check the last pages of this thread, you will figure it out.

We covered this the other day, it has some pics.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_362513/tm.htm

________

That 4 wire package there is just a factory splice. Whats actualy happening is this, your radio runs to that 4 wire pack, which connects your door woofer, then it splices itself, in that origional factory bracket there and runs off to the tweeter.

So in other words, its normal. 2 of those wires, 1 neg, 1 pos, are comming from the stereo itself.

The other 2 branch off and run through the door to the tweeter, they end at that terminal that only shows 2 wires, to power the tweeter. So if you are going to cut those off, you just need to make sure you trace the 2 that are running to the stereo, and run them, extended with another wire if you need to, to your crossover input. Then run the other 2 to the tweeter output on the crossover.

Or in your case, you just trace the 2 running from the head unit, and cut them at the 4 wire setup, connect the 2 comming from the head unit to the speakers your installing.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

i got it all rigged up. i just spliced the wires together. that'll do

but...i think i really flucked something up in the rear. when i was stripping the wires i think i tore one [:@]
so i think i gotta rewire the right speaker...dammit, that'll be a project for tomorrow.