Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

got new stuff...help...dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Default got new stuff...help...dissapointed

alright so i needed to get a new system together and i figured a nice little 10" sub would be a good change.

I stumbled about pioneer... come to find a nice Pioneer Premier 10" sub 800RMS and 2500 PEAK... i figure it would be a bangin sub.

so i hunt down a good amp...i found a nice kenwood to give this bad boy enough power, or so i thought.

specs on the amp:
* Amplifier Type: Mono
* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 500W x 1 @ 4 ohms
* THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.08 %
* Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 850W x 1 @ 2 ohms
* Speaker Level Inputs: yes
* Preamp Outputs : yes
* Built-In Crossovers: LP
* Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
* Frequency Response: 5-200 Hz
* Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB
* Fuse Rating: n/a

The sub is a dual 4ohm voice coil, so i wired it to parallel to get a 2 ohm load. Get everything hooked up and get it turned on and its so weak! I mean it seems like i have it runing at 2 ohms so i should def. be pounding, its just seems like there is something missing.

Its not what im expecting, im thinking there is something else going on that i cant figure out. I called kenwood and the guy i talked to know just about as much as a bag of dirt.

Here is a picture of the wiring terminals

and a picture of the adjusters( i cant think of the word to go with that lol)

right now i have the sub wired in the positive all the way to the left and the negative to the left (see picture)

so please if you have any idea let me know.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: got new stuff...help...dissapointed

does your hu have a sub out? if not and the sub is connected to the front or rear speaker RCA's and there is a built in crossover set to HP filter? i dont know, just an idea. if you have a sub out and your sure you connected it to that, then check if the sub is set in the minus. whats your preout voltage? match you rpreout voltage with the amps gain (sensitivity)

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM

finally some sort of intelligent response.....

alright
My Head Unit Has
-Front Out
-Rear out
-Sub out

Max Pre-output Voltage- 2V/10k ohms

Max Sub Output- 4v/10k ohms

as far as what you mean by "then check if the sub is set in the minus. whats your preout voltage?" please explain a little more im not quit getting that.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

with some HU's you can set the output of the sub, you can go in the minuses or in the pluses, the higher you go, the more power your sub out will send to your amp. you have the RCA's connected in the sub out right? and about your preout voltage, you said that the sub out voltage is 4V, so on your amp, you should match that (the **** that says sensitivity or gain)

Old 08-02-2006, 07:35 PM

yes my HU has a sub control from 0-15DB or whatever it says
and than it was a regualer bass adjustment from -7 through 7

when i use the sub control and put it to zero and do the voltage to 4 i get practically nothing out of the amp

Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

you said you wired your sub in parrallele right? meaning you put both + of the sub together and then to amp +, and same with -. if you wired it differently it is not at 2 ohms, you might have connected it in series and only having a load of 8 ohms. the -7 to 7 setting, raise that up more than 0, put it at seven for now, just to set it. that you can put way up, it's not like bass boost or gain, it wont distort if you have it all the way up

Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 PM

nope i did it like you said i looked at the info sheet that came with the sub to make sure its got two of those push down type connecters i guess you would call it. i have a + going to a + than a wire from one of those terminals going to the + on the amp and vice versa on the negative side. Im just wondering if there is something else going on with the amp mabye a certain way to wire it? because im left with other options im just not told which is which in the manual or on the amp.. usually some say bridged or whtaever

Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

can you send me the pdf file with the manual of your amp, i just want to see how your amp needs to be connected, you could try to connect each voice coils to each outputs of the amp. send the file to shawn123421@msn.com

Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

also where is your frequency **** set to? it should be between 60-90.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 PM

emailed you the PDF, its a link though it'll take you right to it.

as far as the frequency it was between 150-200 just put it between 60-90...still no change..

with all the adjustments you told me i get no bass now lol

this **** should be pounding i am so confused in why its not doing much of anything.....

this might help... when i first put the sub in a couple days ago, with the excitment and glee of getting a new sub and wanted to hook it up, i forgot a voic coil, though i didnt run it for long because i could tell something was wrong and could smell a little wierd smell im assuming it was slowly going, so i didnt run it any longer it, i mean it still works and hits ok but it should be slamming.

Quick Reply: got new stuff...help...dissapointed