Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

got new stuff...help...dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: got new stuff...help...dissapointed

the settings im giving you are the right settings to use, it might have less bass but its better for the sound quality, you cant just crank everything to max and expect your amp and sub to sound good and last. as for the smell, you might have fried one of your voice coils cause you had it hooked up on only one so it could only handle half the RMS wattage. my buddy has one just like that and it basses pretty good, and he only has a small amp. do you have a multimeter? if so, set it to the ohms setting and try each voice coil to see if you still have 4 ohms each. also what kind of box you got that sub in? if you made the box yourself, that might be the problem.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 PM

i understand that it should work perfectly on the settings thats why im so confused, this sub should hammer.

but i guess i should get a multimeter and check it.

as for the box yes i made it myself, fiberglass.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

oh thats right, i saw the post of your box, nice box, but it might not be the right size for that sub, i made my own custom trunk too and the volum is not enough for my type-r, so it dont sound like it should, and i know that for a fact cause i installed the exact same system in my buddy's car and his sounds way better cause he has a box made especially for our sub. so i'm saying its probably your box. other than that, find a multimeter and check the voice coils. thats all i can tell you, maybe somebody can help you more, unless you want to come down all the way to new brunswick canada for me to check itlol, jk

Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM

yeah i started thinking that, it sucks because i dont wanna have to search for another sub than if i decide on going on a 12' i would have to scrap the box i made lol

if i got a alpine type-r would that thing hammer with the amp i have? theres a place around here i can get them for lik 150$

Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

i have a 12" type-r 500 watts RMS hooked up at 2 ohms on a alpine mrd-605 (600 watts RMS) amp, and it pounds, never heard the 10's though

Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM

well if this sub is blown...the question is will it be ok to run it still? considering i now have both voice coils hooked up..... would the amp be ok?

i ask this because ill have to wait a couple weeks to get a new sub

im thinking either

a type r from alpine 10" of course just because of hte box i made

or a

infinity KAPPA PERFECT10VQ single voice coil 10" 400rms 1600peak

any comments?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:57 AM

alright got a multimeter.

one side reads about 3.4 ohms
and the other reads about 3.1 ohms
each coil is 4 ohm...
when wired in parallel... at the wire where it goes into the amp it reads about 1.7 ohms

im thinking that the batteries might be bad in the multimeter...what do you all think?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 AM

a few other things

could the speaker wire from the amp to the sub effect anything? i mean could a lower guage IE like 12 gauge or anything help it out much?

i dunno what i have now but its worth a shot if it will do anything.

and also if i were to get rid of my fiberglass box that i worked so hard on, what kinda box should i get?

Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Dude, i doubt its your box. This is how your sub should be wired. Set your bass boost to 12 your low pass filter (LPS) to about 120-130 Hz. Make sure you ground and other wires are making a nice solid connection and double check em again. Make sure none of your fuses are blown. other than that i would try wiring both coils into the amp and see what that does for you.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 PM

unfortunatly thats how i have it wired. thanks though

as for the wires everything is where is should be i think its the sub, because i went to an audio store (mikey shore)

and the guy said i could try a sub for 7 days and if i didnt like it i could take it back, basically i buy it than he buys it back from me.

trying the MTX 5500 300 watts rms 600 peak...get this..just hooked it up and this sub hits better than the pioneer i got...so conclusion this pioneer sub sucks.... i guess its time to look for something else.

would anyone like to buy this pioneer sub? lol

Quick Reply: got new stuff...help...dissapointed