Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

help with system

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Default help with system

ok,,my subs were just making a constant sound just hard thump constantly, i cleaned off my ground and reconnected it... the system started working fine,,,15 min down the road it starts doing the same thing again...WTF??? help plz

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

Check your wiring and fuses. Barring no wiring issues, you could have a problem with the subwoofers, your head unit, or your sub amp.

Also, what size amp are you running? Do you have a big enough electrical system to run your sound system?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM

i got a 500w memphis mono channel amp pushin it...ppl at electronic express said it would be perfect for 2 12's and it does push them HARD but i dunno..and the subs r brand new ..i know i have the wiring right..the only thing is the ground that i am worried about because when i cleaned it the other day it worked good for about 15 min..but i never had a problem with the ground b4 i put in the new system...very confused thanks for all the help so far

Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

Systems - Awesome when you get them working correctly, horrible when they are having problems.
So just to make sure, there's the basic, really stupid stuff:

1. Power and REM run down one side of the car, RCA's down the other side (or at least 18" apart I believe). I've also never had much luck running signal cables down the center of the car without getting interference.

2. You said the ground was good, I'll trust you there. Just confirm its grounded on clean shiny paintless metal and its a good chassis ground.

3. Do you have your amps frequency adjusted correctly? Also make sure the low-pass filter is on.

4. My Pioneer headunit with a blown pico fuse did similar stuff to my subs. It was intermittent, then it made heartbeat sounds, which were louder when the car was on, then it did crazy stuff like pounding when I rolled a window down, or turned the wipers on.

5. If you can replace stuff for trouble shooting - DO IT! See if you can borrow a buddies amp and see if its the amp, try some new RCA's, try a different headunit. Try to completely rule out whatever you have the capability of ruling out.

6. How is your electrical system? Is your alternator good? What about the battery? Do your lights dim when the subs are going? Any chance of trying out a capacitor? Or if you have a cap, it may be going psycho on you, I've had it happen.

Its a pain to troubleshoot a system, I solved a case of terrible engine whine from my front passenger speakers polarity being flipped. Weird, but it fixed it. Check anything you can think of, even if you think its stupid - There's always a chance.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the help guys..im gunna try out all this stuff this weekend and see if i can figure out whats up...ill be sure to let u guys know...also im gunna get pics of the car up soon..just aint had time to clean it up and get good pics...been rainin jus about every damn day here....

Old 05-15-2009, 06:50 PM

well i finally got my 4 12's hooked up n working...only prob now..is the 500 watt kicker mono block amp ...the only thing wrong is i have the gain and bass boost about halfway up and still it cuts out sometimes, like the protection comes on ,,,its weird cuz my 500 watt memphis mono block is fine now ...i jus keeep comin up wit problems lol