Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HID's for 97 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 AM
HCF Member
Default HID's for 97 civic ex

I have a 97 civic ex and want to put HID's in. I have the stock headlight housings. The bulbs I have are H4's and they have two bulbs side by side, I guess one for regular and one for the brights. The old lights had just one bulb. Will the brights work because they are a seperate bulb?
Thanks
Rob

Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

Yes It will work.. the extra bulb is your high beam, but it's halogen not xenon. So essentially it's a Xenon for your Low and Halogen for your High.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

Yes, the old bulbs were 1 bulb each but they have separate filaments that illuminate, one for the low beams and one for the high beams (unlike some cars that have separate bulbs for this purpose). I have a pair of those H4 HIDs myself in stock housings. The bulb has the HID for low beams, and a small halogen bulb for high beams). Well I'll tell you this, if you're willing to pay a little extra, get the bi-xenon, it uses an electromagnetic to move the HID filament up when the high beams are triggered. Cause, the normal high beam halogen in those things sucks *****, its really really dim, so I would go that route if I were you. Also, those bulbs won't be perfect, even though they fit they'll be a lot of glare, yeah you can see a lot better but it might annoy some people. I haven't had very many oncoming cars flash their beams at me because its too bright but occasionally it happens. If you really wanna do it right, you should retrofit good projector lenses which turns out really good but takes a lot of time and is kind of expensive. My friend did it, it looks really nice, but you might wanna read up on that, its pretty involved.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ltkenbo
I haven't had very many oncoming cars flash their beams at me because its too bright but occasionally it happens

The other day I had an old guy high beam me after i followed him for abit on the highway.... he pulled up to me at a red light.. and pointed at my lights.. I gestured that he was a retard (slammed my right arm across my chest a few times) and flashed my high beams and low beams back and forth... He started following me for about 10 minutes he couldn't keep up and i lost him in a mall parking lot.....

This just reinforces the fact that I need projectors and that my low beams are REALLY bright.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM

stock headlights with two bulbs side by side?
that's weird

H4's are Hi/Low bulbs. I think we need to figure out for sure what's going on with your setup before we can tell you what you need

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

Yah but when you don't get real Bixenons so you don't lose your highbeams they attach a halogen bulb beside the xenon bulb no joke.

Here's a pic for you Trust.

It's an H4 Xenon / Halogen bulb

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 12-24-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 AM

yea, i've seen one

what i understood from what he said is that each of his headlights has two headlight bulbs... and that's wrong if they're stock like he says

he needs bixenon or that ugly HID/halogen bulb if he wants high beams

Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

The bulbs I have are H4's and they have two bulbs side by side, I guess one for regular and one for the brights
I think he meant what i posted, but I agree.. OP(Original poster).... we need more information..

Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
HCF Member

Yea it looks just like the bulb that xsteinbachx posted. the funny thing now is I have them installed but when I hit the high beam switch the low beams are on and when i hit the the low beams the high beams come on.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

then you just switched the high and low beam power wires.... very simple just switch them

and if you have HIDs in factory headlights then be sure to just adjust them... sure youll have a few out of yack bright points BUT its alot cheaper than projectors
typicaly i adjust them down a bit and i have no problems driving.... but i got bixenon hids now so if someone does flash me i just REALLY FLASH EM BACK!
i still get that 1 person a month that will flash me for no reason because sh ewas driving a tall SUV! total BS but some people are just stupid and flash for no good reason!
just get infront of your car and duck your head around and make sure your lights are properly adjusted and dont blind ya to high! just pop up and down and left to right and tweek it good.