Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

High Output Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: High Output Alternator

what i tell everyone is that caps are total BS
if you listen to rock it may help on those lam songs BUT with some rap with some hard hiting quick bass they will actualy hurt your voltage more... lets face it after every hit it has to recharge... which inturns holds back power from your system starving the amp alittle bit only to discharge alittle bit...

i always advice a highoutput alternator AND GROUNDS along with proper wire size ran to the amplifier!!!!!!!!!!!

but definatly upgrade your ground wires! from battery to body and battery to engine!
just look at those wires......... at leat mine on the battery was only like a 4 or6 gauge wire... and the wire on the motor/body infront was only like 6-8gauge and it was all bare wire and rusty as hell...
replacing the battery terminals and upgrading those wires helped my voltage diming alot!!!!!!

and with my new setup i have 1/0gauge wires ran directly from the battery to the amplifier in the rear.... overkill... heck ya but i got alot of headroom for anything i want to add later on!

and all my ground cables are also done in 0gauge cabling... i have my ground moved to my strut bar and another wire ontop of the battery/strut wire and i have it ran across the motor to the stock motor front drivers side location.
tho i still go have quite a bit of diming in the headlights BUT it doesnt dim below 12volts cause i also put in a fullsize yellow top battery D34/78 under the hood. fits tight with a few minor modifications.. 2 plastic spots trimed off the battery and flip the plastic tray on the battery tray... then just squize it on in thier i dont have any kind of batery hold down cause it realy doesnt need it.LMFAO its that tight!

tho my next modification will be a high power alternator! im pushen 1200watts rms and that 75amp stock alt just wont cut it!
but ive had alot worse diming with other cars with less power! even my truck would dim to under 10volts when i was pushen 2500watts.LOL

but definatly get a highpower alt! it will preaty much elimenate most dimming if not all....
lets face it.... alternator MAKES POWER... battery and caps just hold onto it....