Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Hookin up an Amp..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya you got the baby 8s 8 of em that is. i know those low RE model subs are still pretty dam impressive! hell i got 2 10s in my closet hooked up to my surround sound system for the last 2years.
tho i think im going to swap them out soon.... i got that old alpine type R15 in my semi trailer thats just collecting dust so im thinking about swaping them out and see how much drywall i can bust loose in my closet.LOL

i know i went overkill with my last civic, dual runs of 1/0gauge wire, spent about 100bucks on just battery terminals, put in a huge optima yellow top d34/78. only about 1500watts rms.
but i had a high power alternator on my ride.

kanarrjl WINK WINK... buy my alternator your lights wont flicker again
i still wanna go huge in my truck but i just dont have the funds right now to go nuts!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
HCF Member

yeah i only got 2 10's.

how much does it take to get the car started?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
ya you got the baby 8s 8 of em that is. i know those low RE model subs are still pretty dam impressive! hell i got 2 10s in my closet hooked up to my surround sound system for the last 2years.
tho i think im going to swap them out soon.... i got that old alpine type R15 in my semi trailer thats just collecting dust so im thinking about swaping them out and see how much drywall i can bust loose in my closet.LOL

i know i went overkill with my last civic, dual runs of 1/0gauge wire, spent about 100bucks on just battery terminals, put in a huge optima yellow top d34/78. only about 1500watts rms.
but i had a high power alternator on my ride.

kanarrjl WINK WINK... buy my alternator your lights wont flicker again
i still wanna go huge in my truck but i just dont have the funds right now to go nuts!
yeah i don't have the 8's anymore well ive got 2 im actually gunna buy 4 of the new sa-8's

but am currently jobless kinda ive got random jobs that are skimpin me by right now. but yeah in the spring if youve still got that alt im gunna buy it from you for sure i'll have cash by then and i need an alt

Last edited by kanarrjl; 12-09-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dam thats a fatty... i myself is thinking of using 2 15inch fiaudio BTL fully loadeds and just a second RF amplifier. or maybe just a single RF amp double the size.. still thinking. but i wont be buying the subs for awhile... at least 2-3months. since i still havent put any money to the side for them.LOL of course i could still change my mind.... all i know is im defiantly getting over 140db in the truck this time! my last system in my old truck was 140dbs which is still very Fen loud in a truck! i just know my back seat... well its mostly outta there.LOL at least 3/4 of the seat will be trashed. i just want room for one person to be back there.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

yeah I know how it is wanting passengers in a rear seat. I'm hoping to be more in the 150 ish range, Jacob Fuller the owner of Sundown was testing 2 of them and hit a 150 I was like wow if he can do it with 2 I can do it with 4 lol. and I know you will be at least 140 with 2 BLT's my friend hit 150 with 2 mismatched 18's

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well 18s I WOULD LOVE.... but my last truck i had one 18inch re XXX sub before they where remade and tho that subwoofer was SICK.... but it takes up so much space.... only way to rock two 18s is to pretty much wall off the whole rear area and well seeing behind me is more of a priority than bass. mainly because if a cop comes up behind me while bumping id never hear him and i know id never get outta that ticket.LOL
so 15s is the max im going to do.... tho i am tempted to go really nuts. but i gotta hold myself back since i daily drive the sucka.
but i can always change my mind before i click BUY NOW

but getting a high score in a truck is actually harder than in a trunk. sucks... still sounds very loud inside the truck BUT on the mic it really doesnt show. and no way in hell im going to go ***** out and do a blow thru. i just use my truck way to much for work!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 AM
HCF Member

Do not put the fuse right up to the battery because if there is ever a serge from your battery there is a chance the electric current will pass the fuse and blow your amp. When you put the fuse in let it have at least 10 inches of wire in-between the battery and the fuse

Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

^ proof?

ive never heard of anyone having SERGE problems passing the amplifiers main fuse! plus even if it was a problem thats why your amplifier has built in fuses! at least most do have them on the sides that protect the amplifier itself. i always put it as close to the battery as posible usually within 6inches typically.
lets face it if the system serges or spikes thats coming from the alternator which is ruffly 5ft or so of wire before it reaches the battery.
thats nothing to worry about. the further away you put the fuse the more posibilities there is for it to wear on something and short out if not properly routed.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
well 18s I WOULD LOVE.... but my last truck i had one 18inch re XXX sub before they where remade and tho that subwoofer was SICK.... but it takes up so much space.... only way to rock two 18s is to pretty much wall off the whole rear area and well seeing behind me is more of a priority than bass. mainly because if a cop comes up behind me while bumping id never hear him and i know id never get outta that ticket.LOL
so 15s is the max im going to do.... tho i am tempted to go really nuts. but i gotta hold myself back since i daily drive the sucka.
but i can always change my mind before i click BUY NOW

but getting a high score in a truck is actually harder than in a trunk. sucks... still sounds very loud inside the truck BUT on the mic it really doesnt show. and no way in hell im going to go ***** out and do a blow thru. i just use my truck way to much for work!
I know i was just saying that the 15's should be loud and id never do a blow thru cuz if i buy a truck im using it for a truck not a car lacking cabin space o and sundown was testing one of those 8's in a crx and hit a 149.9 can you say wow!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

I have a 300 watt amp powering two 10" subs. It was installed and recommended by Future Shop. But when i took it out of my old civic, put it in my new one, the subs are barely loud. Like inside the car, they're sort of loud..but not as loud as they're supposed to be.. and outside the car, you can barely hear the bass. The wires are 4 gauge, both ground and power, have an Alpine head unit, and the fuse is about a foot away from the battery. I checked all of my connections (i.e ground, battery, sub, amp) but the only thin I haven't checked is behind the head unit because I didn't think that would be the problem? Can anyone suggest anything that will bring my subs to life again?

Quick Reply: Hookin up an Amp..