Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

hooking up gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 AM
HCF Member
Default hooking up gauges

ok i need help hooking up my gauges. there are 4 wires. (im just talking about how to get them correctly lit up, NOT the sensors....a shop is going to do that) anyways, orange wire - to 12v wire when ignition is on, red wire - to 12v battery wire, white wire - to 12v wire when small lamp on, black wire - ground. so, where do i hook the orange, red, and white to? im pretty sure red is going to go to the positive terminal on the battery, correct? but what about the orange and white?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Default RE: hooking up gauges

For the orange wire, get a test light and find an empty fuse bus in the fuse box in the cabin, make sure it comes on with the ignition. You can use a fuse tap for that. For the red wire, I'd suggest finding a fuse bus thats on all the time and tapping it, but a wire right to the battery will work too, just look ghetto. White wire, tap into your parking light wire. Use good heat shrinking wire wrap too, butt connectors are kinda dangerous to use on a car's electrical system

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

so what exactly is the white wire for? i started my car up and tested the gauges out to make sure they worked and i grounded the black wire and hooked the ORANGE wire to the battery. the gauge lit up and worked. this doesnt make any sense to me....and why do i have to tap the white wire into the parking lights? and i have no clue what you are talking about the shrinking wire and all that....

Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Orange is usually a color for Lume.....That is kinda weird.......

Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

that tells me nothing

Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM
June 2010 ROTM

lol, I've been search for the same answers as I have a Voltmeter, A/F ratio, and oil pressure. I'll let you know if I find anything...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

lol jhs, didnt you answer your own question in the first post?? are are you like looking for confirmation?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

Pardon my ignorance, but are there any sites or something that I can read up on the reason of using A/F gauges, oil temp gauges, etc? How would they benifit you?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
HCF Member

^ just lets you monitor everything and tells you if anything is going wrong (or right for that matter). An aftermarket tach obviously lets you know if you're revving dangerously high, or tells you when you should shift, a voltmeter tells you how your alternator is working, and there are various other. Shortband a/f ratio gauges dont do much, but if you buy a wideband it lets you accurately monitor how rich/lean you are running, which is crucial (specially for the boosted guys)

Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM

These gauges have a memory feature I take it (thus the orange wire for ignition but the red for constant battery).... The white wire is to dimm the gauge so it's less bright at night... I forgot you went big and got high end gauges....

Quick Reply: hooking up gauges