Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

how can i do this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
HCF Member
Default how can i do this...

Im wiring up a neon, using the headlights as the power source througha toggle switch. the toggle switch is essentially a kill switch if for some reason i need to turn off my neons but keep my headlights on. instead of going through the firewall to the fusebox under the hood, i am going to a wire in the steering column. however, the problem is the wire i am connecting to is hot exactly when the light should be off and it lights up when i dont have my headlights on. is there a way to invert the power inbetween this wire and my neon?? does that make sense?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: how can i do this...

www.the12volt.com and read-up on relays. you will find they are god's gift to people who want to do odd things!

to answer your question, no i dont completely understand u but im almost sure a relay (or relays) can help.

and its not hard to run a wire through your firewall, what year and is it a stick? because u gotta think about all the amps that have been installed, i would almost think it would be easier just to run wires into the firewall. depending on your year there should be a large rubber grommet on the firewall on the driver side, or if you have an automatic you can usualy just drill through the cover for where ur clutch would be.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

its an 04 and yes its a stick..to try to clear it up some...the wire i am tapping into has power running through it when the headlights are turned off, which is when i want the neons to be turned off as well. when the headlights are on, their is no power through this wire, which is when i want the neons to be on...see, its flopped. if there was power through this wire when the headlights were on, then this would not be a problem...make more sense?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

all is needed to run interior lighting is a few feet of wiring, a pair of neons, a switch, and an adaptor to tap into the interior fuse panelf with a solid ground. there is no need to run it with a kill switch, a simple switch serves it's purpose well.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

ya, i know that much. only problem is if i want the neons to come on with the headlights, the fuse for that is not under the dash...unless i am lookin at it wrong

Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

and the purpose of a kill switch would be, hypothetically, if i got pulled over for something and wanted to keep my headlights on but turn off the neons

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM

and u dont want to run anywires through the firewall?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

you do not have to find a fuse to the headlights or run any wire through the firewall. all you need to do is fine aconstant 12V source from the interior fuse panel, tap into it, then run it to aswitch, and from the switch run it to power the neons. then just ground the neons. that's the best, and i mean best way to do it. that way you only have them when "you" want, you can leave the switch on, or cut them off whenever you want to. plus, it's pointless to wire them directly to the headlights because they won't turn on right when you turn the headlights on, they have to warm up first (unless you're using led's).

Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 PM

i think he wants underbody neons, i might be wrong. i just assumed because of the headlights.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 PM

if he wants neons to come on with the headlights and they are inside the car or outside for that matter, he should hook up to the parkinglight (p-lights are on when headlights are on, and the headlight wire inside the car isnt designed to energize anything other than the underhood relays for h-lights) in his sill, hook that up to a relay for the neons and put a switch between the p-light wire and the relay (or after the relay it dont matter) and obviously ground to metal

Quick Reply: how can i do this...