Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How do you draw power from a fuse box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 AM
HCF Member
Default How do you draw power from a fuse box?

Hi i am planing on puting some cold cathodes in my civic (under the seats). i have been told to draw power from the fuse box, then run a fuse after that and then a switch then to the light kit. My question is how do i hook up a wire to the fuse box. Since i am relatively new to wiring, i would prefer pictures of very simple instructions. Thanks a lot for the help

Old 08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How do you draw power from a fuse box?

you can use add-a-circuits, they sell them at any car part store

Old 08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

is that the only way?

Old 08-27-2006, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

what is a cold cathode?

Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 01silverbullet

is that the only way?
why, you dont like that way? it's the easiest and cleanest way to do it and it has the slot for fuses and everything.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

there are accessory fuse slots in you fuse box usually 4 2 that work when the car is on and two thats are always on all you need is a connector and your golden

Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05reverb

is that the only way?
why, you dont like that way? it's the easiest and cleanest way to do it and it has the slot for fuses and everything.
I didnt say that i just dont know anything a bout it so i was wondering if it was the only way. sry if it rubbed you the wrong way i just like to have options

Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05reverb

is that the only way?
I didnt say that i just dont know anything a bout it so i was wondering if it was the only way. sry if it rubbed you the wrong way i just like to have options
naw, it's all good, it is very simple, just connect the wire (from the new stuff you want to add) to the add-a-circuit and put the appropriate fuses in th add a circuit and plug it in

Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your just talken about a plug in fuse unit?

put anyways 01silverbullet
thought i expained it enough for ya.LOL

go buy a light tester, afew female spade terminals, fuse, electrical tape, some wire crimp conections for your wires. some decent size wire or speaker wire to run power and ground together easier.

now take that light tester and ground the clamp end to any decent large metal object under the dash, and to ensure that you do have it on a ground then turn on the ignition into the run position and touch the metal spike like the metal tab ontop of some fuses and ensure that the light does lite up on the tester... IF NOT take off the clamp and try conecting it to another piece of metal under the dash until you find a good ground. then look at the fuse box and some some spade terminals that have nothing conected to it.... and use which ever metal tab you want.. with it either being powered all the time OR only with the igintion OR accessory turned ON.

crimp the female spade terminal on the fuse link, tape over crimp conector, and before puting in the fuse make sure to complete all wiring! then crimp a wire conector from the fused wire to your other wire desinated for power to the and wire in a switch of your choice, then run the exit wire to your wiring for your cathode transformer, and then again crimp that wire to your cathodes wire conector.

and for the ground... look under the dash for something thats metal and for a bolt or nut location... take off the nut or bolt and either use a ring terminal or ghetto just strip the wire and wrap it around the nolt and tighten it back down.. then run that wire to your cathodes transformer conector and crimp that wire again.......
and once all conections have been taped over then insert the fuse and flip the switch and enjoy!

ok im tired of typing now.LOL

come on man you can do it! have faith in yourself! i dont have any pictures of what one of those fused conections are but they are preaty much just look like one wire with a fuse holder molded into it that most have a little flap that goes over them to weather proof them and to prevent them from touching anything.....

just go to any auto part store and look at thier electrical stuff.
youll see what im talken about... if not just ask the guys at the counter. im sure they can help ya out with just tellen them you want to add a inline fuse holder.
i think they have a tiny pathetic inline fuse that uses those glass fuse styles.... BUT you want the newer fuse style! those old glass fuses will work... but they are just old school.LOL

Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

your just talken about a plug in fuse unit?

put anyways 01silverbullet
thought i expained it enough for ya.LOL

go buy a light tester, afew female spade terminals, fuse, electrical tape, some wire crimp conections for your wires. some decent size wire or speaker wire to run power and ground together easier.

now take that light tester and ground the clamp end to any decent large metal object under the dash, and to ensure that you do have it on a ground then turn on the ignition into the run position and touch the metal spike like the metal tab ontop of some fuses and ensure that the light does lite up on the tester... IF NOT take off the clamp and try conecting it to another piece of metal under the dash until you find a good ground. then look at the fuse box and some some spade terminals that have nothing conected to it.... and use which ever metal tab you want.. with it either being powered all the time OR only with the igintion OR accessory turned ON.

crimp the female spade terminal on the fuse link, tape over crimp conector, and before puting in the fuse make sure to complete all wiring! then crimp a wire conector from the fused wire to your other wire desinated for power to the and wire in a switch of your choice, then run the exit wire to your wiring for your cathode transformer, and then again crimp that wire to your cathodes wire conector.

and for the ground... look under the dash for something thats metal and for a bolt or nut location... take off the nut or bolt and either use a ring terminal or ghetto just strip the wire and wrap it around the nolt and tighten it back down.. then run that wire to your cathodes transformer conector and crimp that wire again.......
and once all conections have been taped over then insert the fuse and flip the switch and enjoy!

ok im tired of typing now.LOL

come on man you can do it! have faith in yourself! i dont have any pictures of what one of those fused conections are but they are preaty much just look like one wire with a fuse holder molded into it that most have a little flap that goes over them to weather proof them and to prevent them from touching anything.....

just go to any auto part store and look at thier electrical stuff.
youll see what im talken about... if not just ask the guys at the counter. im sure they can help ya out with just tellen them you want to add a inline fuse holder.
i think they have a tiny pathetic inline fuse that uses those glass fuse styles.... BUT you want the newer fuse style! those old glass fuses will work... but they are just old school.LOL
Thank you much. you have been a major help. i am just a very visual person so it takes a b ig explanation like this ^ for it to finally click thanks a lot

Quick Reply: How do you draw power from a fuse box?