Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ipod, aux, multi disc input, kinda confused now

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default ipod, aux, multi disc input, kinda confused now

As I understand it, in order for my 6 disc changer to keep working once i upgrade my head unit i need to get one of the same brand as the changer(ie alpine head unit) if thats not correct please correct me...

secondly i've been searching around sites trying to find out if I can have all 3, or more than 1 plugged in at a time... and w/o spending an extra 500 bux cause then i'll just buy a damned ipud... and so far i've not found any one site saying yes... or no, they just list features of the system, occasionally it will say aux in or changer... but nothing more [&:]

I'm new to car audio so bare with me.

And thanks in advance

Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: ipod, aux, multi disc input, kinda confused now

on the cd changer i dont know what to tell you but there is an adapter that you can buy at radioshack or any other electornic store or maybe even walmart, its the rca Y adapter, its basically spliced from 1 rca jack and it have 2 outs so if your headunit just have 1 aux in, you could buy a set (s) Y adapters, then you could have plug 2 deives, but you could only use one at the time E.I. (turn ipod on to use it, then turn it off and turn on the other device), if this doesnt make any sense im sorry, im going on 4 days without sleep lol

Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't know about Alpine specifically but most makers change the standard for how their head units and changers interface every few years. So if you have an old generation changer it may not work with any current model head unit.

If you're going to use an ipod some units are much more seamless than others, for example on some you can take full control of the ipod from the head unit control panel, others just link the audio in and you need to use the controls on the ipod.

Nearly every new head unit will play MP3 files off of a CD. If you always have the same 6 favorite CD's in your changeryou can encode them to MP3 and burn them all onto one CD (actually if you're willing to trade quality off slightly, you can put about 10-15 albumson one MP3 disk)and just leave that disk in your head unit. That would be equivalent to a changer setup.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

yeah, its just a hassle having to swap discs in and out though... kinda liking the idea of put discs in, forget about em, listen away...

i've had portable mp3 disc players in the past(wow what a step up from 1 CD at a time)...

I'll see if i can get some pics, and numbers off my changer to see if its still usable... if not ohh well... ebay it, or keep it next to my olde apple IIe [8D]

!NEW!
okay took some pics of my changer, gonna hafta see if i can either get the changer closer to the floor, or the spring or whatevers rubbing to stop... and also it uses ai-net not quite sure what that is... well off to google/research

[IMG]local://upfiles/23609/63D81C4B708E468BBF7673C6F8875492.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23609/726365A0737A4108998E87E750E65B27.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
HCF Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iuDEcNC...p;I=500KCA130B
A possible solution?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

okay after decifering through the manual for the CDA-9885.. yes and no... I think my disc changer CAN stay... just hafta buy an ipud & adapter...
Or i buy they aux in adapter and hope to heck it plugs into what the ipud would plug into...

that being said i Think i'll be selling a sansa player possibly... might see if dad's willing to buy it for $100

but that player apparantly has an Ai-Net socket on the back AND a secondary input which is dedicated for the pud... so chances are theres going to be someone else who might be asking the same thing... theres the answer. *browses refurbished ipuds @ apple.ca*

!EDIT!

kinda hijacking but its my thread!

are Rockford Fosgate decent subs/amps still?
most reviews I've found said their old amps were great... so i'm wondering if the new ones if anyone's gotten a chance to play with em yet

my plan so far by the sounds of it might be as follows...

Alpine CDA-9885 Headunit
80GB iPud (its gonna get semi hidden in car behind dash, but still accessible to remove for transfers etc)
Rockford Fosgate T500-1db
Rockford Fosgate P3D212 x 1

The car came with speakers already upgraded to JBL GTO multielement 6.5" up front, 6"x9" in the back

I figure this setup will be able to cater to any and all of my music... as it ranges from classics(zeppelin, floyd, beatles, etc.) to metal(In Flames, Opeth, Tool, KSE, etc) to techno/house(bootlegged DJ sets, BBC bootlegs [8D]) and the occasional hip-hop tracks and some video game stuff(FF VI) and some quiter music too

if you disagree let me know of a better product... I'm not rich with cash, but i figure I should be able to spend a bit on the stereo and a bit on motor work(I/E, cleaning)