Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod batteries

Old 01-22-2006, 05:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default iPod batteries

A little off topic, but whatever... Anyone have any experience with / opinions on these replacement batteries you can get for your iPod? Mine's hosed, the thing is pushing 4 years old now and the battery only lasts an hour.

http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/shop...y1=&recordid=1

Old 01-22-2006, 05:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: iPod batteries

iPod surgery is a teeth-gnashing process. better have good tools and a tutorial with big pictures.

still, paying for a $30 battery sure beats buying a $300 iPod.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 PM
mxs
HCF Member

They give the instructions here: http://www.ipodbatterystore.com/shop...=UP325385A4H-1
Have you ever torn one apart?

p.s. there's another company out there that does the same thing, but for another $20 you can send it in and have them install it.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

I have several MacAddict magazines where they do iPod autopsies for newly-released generations and each one gets slimmer and slimmer, so the contents are packed tighter and tighter. You'll definitely need an awesome set of tools to get the job done. none of that household stuff.

but I'm sure it's not major brain surgery either. an iPod is nothing more than a case, logic board, harddrive and lcd screen.

just pry the case open (the tricky part), unplug the battery (just as tricky), replace the battery and close the case.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

I have several MacAddict magazines where they do iPod autopsies for newly-released generations and each one gets slimmer and slimmer, so the contents are packed tighter and tighter.
Mine's olllllld (2nd generation). I bought it used, almost 3 years ago.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

get a new nano if you can afford it. it's worth it's weight (or lack of it) in gold.

it also has color LCD and can keep pictures.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Well I got the battery today and installed it tonight, it didn't take more than 20 minutes. I used the plastic tools they sent, and a "precision" screwdriver set that I got at the Dollar Tree.

I know, I'm old school.

The thing turned itself back on the second I plugged the battery in, so I guess I didn't break anything. It's charging now.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

i forgot to mention that my mac addict article said that you should use a "back and forth" motion when prying the case with the tiny screwdriver to prevent gashes in the plastic casing.

I'm sure you did that, right!? lol.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 PM
HCF Member

well the ipod batteries crp out in like... a year. (thefirst and second gens) and Mac wouldnt really support it... you basically had to replace the whole damn thing. Because of the lack of support (which mac is famous for with ipod/software) has spawned numerous companies to fix them for you.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Nope, I didn't gouge the case. I mostly used the plastic tools anyway.

The original battery lasted long enough (3 years? I got it used), up until pretty recently it would still work for about 4 hours which is long enough for me most of the time. But one hour was just too freaking short.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPod batteries