Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Kenwood head unit master reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Kenwood head unit master reset?

I just bought a kenwood kdc-x890 from a guy on here, and he decided to be a d*ck and put a lock code on the headunit. He then gave me 3 possible codes to "try". It wont enter any of the codes, and now isnt responding to any of the emails I sent for more instruction. Is there some kind of master reset I can get to? Or any way to get around this because I would hate to have wasted the money on it.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Kenwood head unit master reset?

Who was the guy?
Make sure you post that in the Spammer area of the For Sale area so no one else gets screwed over.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 AM
HCF Member

Unfortunately not anything you can do. The kenwood uses a security code for everytime you remove or disable the car's power. From there when you reset it, you need to enter the code. It's a protection feature, but in all honesty I have to ask why you bought a kenwood anyway? Not to sound like a jerk or anything but often when you pay cheap, you get in return what you pay for, in this case you bought from a douchebag.

The only way to deactivate a security code on any such thing would be to open it up and manually erase the memory, HIGHLY NOT recommended, especially since all head units differ, I couldn't explain to you how to do it unless I saw it first. Or, replace the save chip (also not worth it)

So tbh, as much as you'd hate to hear it, you got screwed and I suggest you tell us who did it

now that I think of it...
you say it won't enter any of the codes, do you mean like the codes don't work or the actual head unit won't even respond to the codes?
In which case then you may just be doing it wrong, i know kenwood's are a bitch for this purpose

Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

This is what the guy said when I asked for instructions this is what he said, you gotta get in there threw the menu, unhook the battery and when it turns on it will come up it will be the first thing it says the code should be 6565, 6556, 2323, 5665 if they dont work let me know. His name is civickid23. And the problem is that the security code comes up, and i enter the following codes, but theres no key that lets me click it to accept it, like an enter button. If you guys have any suggestions to try Ill appriciate them. Im not sure if the guy means to unhook it from my car battery or if theres a backup battery in the head unit. My guess would be the car though. And I already posted him in the section because he caused alot of problems during shipping, such as shutting off his phone and ignoring all my pms and emails for 2 weeks

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

http://www.kenwood.net-disp.com/i/06...90_english.pdf

Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

Thanks man, but I already found this, and followed the instructions on page 41 for deactivation and none of it worked