Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

LED Headlight bulbs, which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Exclamation LED Headlight bulbs, which to buy?

Hello,
I was wondering if any one knew, or knew where I could find what size bulb I would need for my headlight. I'm looking to put an LED bulb but dont know the shape I need so it will fit like an OEM. If you know what an 88-91 civic would use let me know. Or if you know where I can find out let me know please. I've already spent several hours trying to find out but I'm finding too many "numbers" and not sure which ones actually count. The reason I need to know is because ebay has some that "fit" my civic but the price is ridiculous. And I know if I knew the bulb shape number I could get one for less than 10 bucks. Thanks!

-Dskadberg

Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 AM

I would definitely steer you away from an LED headlight. They are just not bright enough.

It's your car, so if you want to try it... Go to the Sylvania bulb replacement guide.

Lamp Replacement Guide Home

Once you get the bulb style, go to somewhere like LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and find the equivalent. There will be a few choices.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM

I agree with Hobo. LEDs are not safe as a primary light source for headlights. They can be used for accent lighting, but thats it.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

HID ftw

Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by dlum125
HID ftw
In a reflector type housing? Fail.

Actually, some manufacturers (mostly high-end like AUDI and Cadillac) are switching to LED headlight bulbs. They typically cluster them a bit (maybe three or four large ones together), so I would imagine lighting engineers have been playing with them for a while and figured out what works best.

Anyway, my point is to go look at the headlights on some of the brand new model cars out there, and see what solution they've developed for the LED bulbs. Once you do a little more research, you might be able to find out what will work best in your existing headlight bezel, or if you'll have to modify it (or scrap the idea entirely). I think you'll find it's going to require a lot more work than just replacing a bulb.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dskadberg
Hello,
I was wondering if any one knew, or knew where I could find what size bulb I would need for my headlight. I'm looking to put led lighting but dont know the shape I need so it will fit like an OEM. If you know what an 88-91 civic would use let me know. Or if you know where I can find out let me know please. I've already spent several hours trying to find out but I'm finding too many "numbers" and not sure which ones actually count. The reason I need to know is because ebay has some that "fit" my civic but the price is ridiculous. And I know if I knew the bulb shape number I could get one for less than 10 bucks. Thanks!

-Dskadberg
Hello friend bit old thread but I am going through similar problem.. I am not able to decide bulb which fit like OEM.. I hope you can help me out.. Please reply

Last edited by ArchieBurton; 07-11-2013 at 10:19 PM.