Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

looking to get more sound from sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 AM
HCF Member
Default looking to get more sound from sub

So, cuttently i have the sub and amp that came out of my last vehicle in the trunk....

sub: Kicker TCVT102 Sealed truck enclosure with one 10" CompVT subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

amp: GM-D7500M - Class-D Mono Amplifier with 800 Watts Max. Power | Pioneer Electronics USA

Now this worked great behind the seat of the single cab truck i was driving.... but in the trunk, its just not as loud as i would like. Looking up the specs of the sub in the box, it can be put in either a sealed or ported box. Now i know ported boxes are louder, but they also degrade sound quality... As for the sealed, it says 0.8 to 3.0 cubic feet... now my question is, will adding more space behind the sub (i.e. getting a larger box) make it louder but still keep the tight bass the sub has?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Giving a sub a bigger box helps, to an extent... I don't which volume in between .8 and 3 cu ft will give you that sweet spot, but I would choose 1.2 or so then pack it with something like Blackhole's product "Stuff". I'd choose that because it'll give the sub some more space while still keeping the box pretty small

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 AM
HCF Member

I'd totally agree with superfly. For years in various cars, I've been running two 10's in a sealed box that's probably 3 cubic feet, and it sounds great. If I want it to rattle body panels, I can, but when it's adjusted to offer that nice punch to accent the bottom end of the music, it's great. I don't have it my Civic, so I can't comment on how it sounds in that car.

Just out of curiosity, what head unit are you using? I ask because, if you haven't already, scroll through the setup menus and look for a subwoofer setting. Mine has a number of tunings for a sub, and I can pretty much tweak it from the driver's seat once I do the initial settings on the amp. When I first hooked up the sub years ago, I was pretty disappointed with its performance until I found the sub settings on the head unit.

Also make sure you're running the correct size wire to the amp. Odds are, it's probably about 10 gauge, but some (like my current amp) required me to go down to a fused 8 gauge power cord and ground.