Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

mosfet

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 AM
HCF Member
Default mosfet

what exactly does mosfet mean? is it an acronym?? and why is it so heavily advertised on every amp? i dont believe ive seen an amp that doesnt have it..

and while im asking noobish questions i might as well ask these as well. what is bandpass? and high and low crossovers??

Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Default RE: mosfet

A MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) is a semiconductor device. When it gets hotter,it decreases conductivity making it ideal to wire in parallel to increase capacity. Runs cooler so more power can be made.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

gotcha. thanks jimijam

Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
HCF Member

high and low pass filters just take the freq out of your speakers that you dont want.....high pass filter i believe you really dont even use that much..its the low pass filter that you use alot to take the bass outta your mids and highs if you have subs.Mine are crossed at about 80hz on my comps and 90hz on the rears.....im not all sure about that though.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

Bandpass boxes use multiple chambers and ports to increase output, reduce box size, or lower the cutoff frequency. Because a port is radiating all the sound, not only the lower frequencies have a cutoff, but the upper frequencies have a cutoff as well. Bandpass boxes have a narrow range of operation, which makes them suitable only for subwoofer use.
[ul]Advantages:[/ul]
[ul][ul]
[*]Can be quite small for the performance attained[*]Efficiency, low frequency and high frequency cutoffs can be varied[*]The upper frequencies are rolled-off, resulting in different crossover requirements [/ul][/ul]
[ul]
Disadvantages:[/ul]
[ul][ul]
[*]Additional filtering is sometimes required to eliminate the port "honk"[*]A certain company whose name rhymes with nose may say you’re infringing on their patents.[*]Extremely complex design and tuning, (computer software highly recommended[/ul][*]there's my .02 :-)[/ul]