Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help... Amp & Sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Default Need help... Amp & Sub

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if this info is already here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I have an '05ex coupe with the in-dash cd changer. A friend gave me a power acoustik LT-1920 amp and 2-12in JL Audio w3v2's. I had Circuit City install them. The amp comes on when I start the car. Now, when the car is on but the stereo is OFF, if there is vibration (closing the trunk for example), the sub starts to push constant bass. The only way to stop it is to turn the stereo ON. I thought it was a grounding issue, but I sanded down the metal and made sure there was a good connection and I still have the same issue. Icalled CC, and they want to install a switch so I can manually turn the amp on and off. Does anyone know what would be causing this??

Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need help... Amp & Sub

This might not be the reasion, but I know my amp were my RCA's went in was screwed up, and when I pushed on the brake it poped my subs. I was going to say ground, but you say thats good.

BUT..dont let CC install a switch if its going to cost you. You can pick up a $2 switch at a store and just get the remote wire, cut it, and attach each side of the cut wire to it. Should take 5 minutes.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM

CC will install the switch for free, but I don't like that the problem still exists, it would just be "controlled." The same equipment worked fine in my friend's Corolla, so I am assuming the amp is not damaged. Ihave never heard of this type of thing happening before.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

well on an aftermarket cd player, the amp shouldnt turn on until the cd player does. thats what the remote wire does. now you said whenever you have a vibration, well i assume since u have a stock head unit you dont have rcas in the back, "im guessing i dont know 05 ex" so they prolly had to do a line splice with a line output converter. i would check those connections one of those could be grounding on something creating a signal. which is making ur sub hit. i would take electrical tape and wrap the rcas.