Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Reading DBs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Reading DBs

ORIGINAL: chisox64

I will play the old man car for anyone who cares. When I was younger, I had an awesome system (for the 80's anyway). I always drove around with the system up. Now I'm in my 40's and I can't hold a conversation in a crowded room because my hearing is toast. Certain frequencies, like those emitted by my children, make my brain rattle. I still play the music loud from time to time, but I'm done with amps.

A little food for thought boys...80 dB for a few hours a day will damage your hearing and it does not return. Its fun now, but you'll need your hearing longer than you will be blasting music. Believe it or not, we all grow up (sort of).
Well put. It's funny that people here on here are so quick to put down somebody who chooses not to wear a seatbelt; or people who street race. I'm sure if somebody posted a thread saying that they like to stare at the sun with no eye protection for a couple hours a day they'd be put down. Yet somehow it seems a large number of people on here are saying: "160 dB isn't loud enough! You need a stereo loud enough to make you think a jet engine is taking off from INSIDE YOUR HEAD!"

ORIGINAL: civicduty96

my coworker has a daily bumpin tahoe that does a 154db playing music ..... it's intense
That "intensity" you feel is the microscopic hair cells inside your cochlea exploding. And no; you don't get new ones. Also, there is nothing "hardcore" about 156dB... Unless you also believe that putting your face through a plate glass window is "hardcore". There's nothing hardcore about going deaf.

Not trying to rag on you; just trying to put some of this in perspective.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

well iv'e been doing this for 12 years and i can hear better than my wife who wont even sit in a loud car...... i'm trying to make the connection of a plate glass window and a stereo and i'm drawing a blank..... i'll tell ya what... find someone to smash there face into a window and i'll find someone to sit in a car doing a 156 and we'll see which ones in better shape... not trying to rag on you just trying to put some of this in perspective.... : )

Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL my old extended cab truck was pumping out 156.3db was my best score with 2 15s and 2500watts rms ported 34hz.
I LOVED IT PERSONALY..... threshold for pain...... sorry its all in your head or your a stereo newbie and have sensitive ears.LOL

in my truck fully cranked it did make it hard to swallow and see straight BUT i loved it!!!!!!
hearing problems in the future... ya most likely......... i started systems about 11years ago... just as soon as i got my first car and liscence!

only reason ive downsized my systems is because POWER and ROOM for the stereo is very minimized with a civic... with a highpower alternator highest amperage is only like 170amps, and i still want some trunk space for groceries.....
currently my 99coupe is hiting around 136db which is just about as loud as i can go with the stock like what 70amp alternator.LOL plus i want to keep the back seat.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

LOL my old extended cab truck was pumping out 156.3db was my best score with 2 15s and 2500watts rms ported 34hz.
I LOVED IT PERSONALY..... threshold for pain...... sorry its all in your head or your a stereo newbie and have sensitive ears.LOL

in my truck fully cranked it did make it hard to swallow and see straight BUT i loved it!!!!!!
hearing problems in the future... ya most likely......... i started systems about 11years ago... just as soon as i got my first car and liscence!

only reason ive downsized my systems is because POWER and ROOM for the stereo is very minimized with a civic... with a highpower alternator highest amperage is only like 170amps, and i still want some trunk space for groceries.....
currently my 99coupe is hiting around 136db which is just about as loud as i can go with the stock like what 70amp alternator.LOL plus i want to keep the back seat.

Simon Delivers!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

I've acctually had my system out for about a half a year. The only reason I guess is that I got bored of it, it isn't as much fun as when your younger. Kinda sounds weird saying that cause I'm 19 but it's the truth. Besides, less weight=more power.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

to me im no where near growing outta it.. i need some bass.... doesnt have to be alot.... but i need some bump in my rides.... hell i got 2 10inch subs and 300watts hooked up to my surround sound inside my room
my 94coupe doesnt have much.... single 12inch alpine typeR with 600watts... its enough to satisfy my bass needs, but it does need a larger box for it im just not sure if i want to fill up the trunk just yet. i want to keep at least half of my trunk clear so i can put long stuff thru the backseat if i need to haul some crap..

Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

I have had my system unplugged for like two months, and i miss it. i have to get around to connecting it again, its just so cold lol

Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: PirateX

If you want to be good to your body, keep the volume in your car below 85 dB.
bwahahahahahahaha. i've been in cars with exhaust louder than that. let me guess....you should never drive over the speed limit either??

Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: matts

bwahahahahahahaha. i've been in cars with exhaust louder than that. let me guess....you should never drive over the speed limit either??
Well, you SHOULDN'T drive over the speed limit; but it doesn't mean that I don't.

Listen, I'm just trying to say that it is a PROVEN fact that prolonged exposure to any noise over 85dB causes irreparable damage to your hearing. Do I listen to my music over 85dB? Sure I do. Just better to at least be educated. Or maybe not - we'll see how many more flame posts I get and then I'll let you know!

Old 12-24-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

i'm pretty sure i've farted at 85db before ......LOL.... thats what hearing aids are for right... so when i'm older i can still bump ridiculess listining to LIL'JON

Quick Reply: Reading DBs