Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sony Xplod

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Sony Xplod

The former owner of my civic must have really f**ked the speakers (both front and rear) because they sound horribly awkard. I'm looking to replace them at a fairly cheap price. How are Sony's Xplods? For the rear (part # XSV6942A) they are $94.99 CDN, and the front (part # XSV1642) they are $69.99 CDN.

I'm not going to be blasting these, but I'm just looking to replace the stock ones with something that sound a bit better. Are these fairly good for what I am looking for? If not, could you recommend some in the same price range.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sony Xplod

xplod speakers are not bad at all. i had them. they sound good and theres very little distortion.. i say go for it..

just STAY AWAY from xplod amps. they overheat in a quick jiffy.. (xplod subs are good tho.. im runnin 2 12's and they effin pound)

edit: i forgot to ask.. do you still have the factory HU? or do you have something aftermarket?? cuz if its the factory HU.. they will probably still sound like chit even if you put new speakers in because the factory HU doesnt put out much wattage. so it gets distorted easily... good luck

Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
HCF Member

i've got three way sony xplods front and rear, along with a sony xplod head unit, which work excellent and have superb sound quality.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 AM

I just helped a guy install a boxed sony xplod system he got at walmart for $108. + tax. It came with the head unit, a pair of 6.5, and a pair of 6X9. I was impressed with it enought to get another friend to go buy one for his 73 Bronco.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
HCF Member

i don't know if i would buy that boxed system, it's just the lowest grade components all wrapped up in one package.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

Allright..good stuff.
As of now I have an aftermarket cassette player But in the coming 1-3 weeks I will be getting a new deck. How difficult is it to install speakers? Should I do it myself or pay someone?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
June 2010 ROTM

It all depends on the person doing it. I have a 93 (92-95) civic. For the fronts, just take off the door panel and unscrew the speakers. For the back, there are two ways. First way, from the trunk, remove the screws to the speaker grill. Then from inside the car remove the speakers. Or second way, remove the whole back shelf and then the speaker. Either way, it gets the job done.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

It all depends on the person doing it. I have a 93 (92-95) civic. For the fronts, just take off the door panel and unscrew the speakers. For the back, there are two ways. First way, from the trunk, remove the screws to the speaker grill. Then from inside the car remove the speakers. Or second way, remove the whole back shelf and then the speaker. Either way, it gets the job done.
Ok that doesn't sound too difficult. It looks easy enough to get the plastic panelling off. Do I have to replace the speaker wire to hook them up or do I justuse the wirethat is already there?

Old 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

you'll have to cut the factory connectors from the wire and splice new female electrical connectors in order to fit the xplod speakers.

the factory paneling can be a slight pain to remove and especially reinstall if you don't know what you're doing, but it also depends on the model car you are installing the speakers in as well.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

i don't know if i would buy that boxed system, it's just the lowest grade components all wrapped up in one package.
i'll be sure to let the happy owners know this. by the way, what would you recommend for the$108 price tag that includes fronts, rears, and a h/u?

Quick Reply: Sony Xplod