Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

speaker install went south fast

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Default speaker install went south fast

97 honda civic has cheap pioneer head unit had all stock speakers LF didnt work although was hooked up RF and both Rears worked but are all blown so sound like crap. Tried to help my bro out since its his car and ive instlalled plenty of sound systems. He bought only front replacements. Anyway in a 97 civic hx it had little plugs for the stock speakers. Removed the plastic leaving only the metal female connectors. I plugged the speaker in with the stock connectors RF speaker worked fine cut the metal connectors off and replaced with the correct size gold plate connectors and no sound not to metion LF never worked for some reason it was like no power although both rear speakers worked even though blown still work.................HELP

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

plug the speaker to a AA battery, does it move? then it works. if not replace.

plug the speaker right into the back of your head unit, does it work? the head unit is good. if not replace.

if both worked then your wiring has gone bad and you need to re-run speaker wire.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Front speakers also can stop working due to breaks in the wire to the door. Mostly a problem on the driver's door since it is opened and closed a lot more than the other door.

If there is a short (to each other, or to ground) in any of the speaker wires, most head units will shut down other speaker(s) too.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

The speakers all work i check them out look like im running new wire to front and back might as well since ill already be doing it im gonna go nuts trying to figure out where my harness wire go lol

Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ewcurran
The speakers all work i check them out look like im running new wire to front and back might as well since ill already be doing it im gonna go nuts trying to figure out where my harness wire go lol
if you can use 16+ gauge and make all the line equal in length.