Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Static Hiss from Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Default Static Hiss from Rear Speakers

Short Version: Can I disconnect the cords going into my amplifier without causing any damage? Should I be aware of anything (other than not having amplified speakers) that might happen by me disconnecting the cables running into the amplifier?

Long Version: I had an aftermarket Alpine audio system installed in my 2010 Civic EX-L sedan and the rear speakers are now giving off a hissing static noise at all times. For reference, the aftermarket system consists of:

- Alpine MRP-F300 amplifier
- Alpine SPS-600 rear speakers
- Alpine SPR-17S front speakers

The salesman said that the hissing static noise was basically unavoidable, but it's really bothering me. The hiss is constant and even there when the stereo is off and I'm not listening to anything.

I heard elsewhere that it might be due to the gain levels on the amplifier. I tried reducing the gain levels but it's had no effect. I'm taking the car to a different car stereo shop to get some more information, but in the meantime can I simply disconnect the cords going to the amplifier? Will doing so cause any damage? I'm basically thinking of not listening to anything at all and disconnecting the cords from the amplifier to stop that hissing sound until I can have another car stereo shop take a look at it.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

disconnect the RCA's to the amp. If you still hear the static, it is the amp or the speakers. If it goes away, it is your HU.

Is it an actual hissing or whining that changes pitch as you accelerate? It is possibly just a bad ground connection.

To answer the OP question though, yes, disconnecting the power to the amp should cut off all sound to the speakers it is connected to . I would disconnect it at the battery, but if you just want to do it at the amp, make sure you cap or tape off the end so you don't ground out your battery.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by BryantheCEO
disconnect the RCA's to the amp. If you still hear the static, it is the amp or the speakers. If it goes away, it is your HU.

Is it an actual hissing or whining that changes pitch as you accelerate? It is possibly just a bad ground connection.

To answer the OP question though, yes, disconnecting the power to the amp should cut off all sound to the speakers it is connected to . I would disconnect it at the battery, but if you just want to do it at the amp, make sure you cap or tape off the end so you don't ground out your battery.
Alternatively, since the power wire has a fuse in it, just take that out and make sure nothing can fall in the fuse slot.

Although I'd try what bryan said before taking it somewhere. Disconnect the RCAs and see if it's still there.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Thank you very much Bryan and Superfly. I will try your suggestions.

Regarding the hiss; there's no difference in volume of the hiss when I accelerate, change tracks, or do anything else. Once the key is turned such that power is going to the head unit, amplifier, etc., the hissing starts.

I was told that it's probably because the amplifier is weak and the stereo installers tried to raise the gain high to compensate for the lack of power. I turned down the gain going to the rear speakers and it actually did have a small effect, though the hiss is still present.

Once again, thanks for the responses. I will try your suggestions.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Hi Chronos - I have the same set of speaker, and amp installed on 2010 Civic LXS. Did you reach to any solution? The guy at Cartoys told me that I would need to install some sort of filter since I am using factory head unit. I am not sure if I should do that yet since I already have spent over 1200 bucks.

Appreciate your time and thanks in advance for your reply mate.