Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

stereo installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
HCF Member
Default stereo installation

OK so I posted 2 weeks ago my dash was destroyed and radio stolen. in the process they cut the factory harness off the radio so now i donno which wires mean what. I am trying to install my old sony xplod head unit. I need a few pointers or tips on this installation I have read several and some things have been different and some have been the same. I got the radio to turn on and work a lil but i wanna be sure everything is installed properly . This is what I have done so far i have twisted both ground wires together (black). I have twisted the red wire with the yellow wire on the sony harness together and twisted those two to the 1 wire (yellow with red) on the car's wire. So now when I turn car on the radio starts up. I have also connected some wires and goten two speakers to work. So my question is there anything else to do? or is it just connecting speaker wires, the ground wire, and ignition wire? also where would i connect the power to amp and subs. thanks in advanced. the car is a 99 civic lx if it matters

Last edited by tano001; 03-09-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

i believe that my amp wire is blue (i also have a sony xplod unit) But there's a blue and a blue with white stripe......I'll have to check to make sure and get back to you.

What car do you have again?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

well, you'll probably want to untwist the red and yellow wires and find the wires they both correspond to in the car. i believe trustdestruction has made a write up that'll give you the infor on the honda wire colors if not, i can pull up a tech sheet. the yellow (12v constant) is benficial to have hooked up to a 12v constant source, otherwise everytime you turn your car off and on, you will lose: time, cd location memory, Radio presets, eq settings (if your radio has them) it can be a pain or a hassle, but if you dont mind having to reset everything all the time. also, you'll want to check to make sure your speakers are in phase (pushing in and out at the same times) if not in phase, noise cancelations can occur and make your stereo sound horrible, in some cases, it can make it sound muted at certain frequencies. looking up a tech sheet online will help out a lot.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

i looked at his thread but i don't think i have the exact colors as the suggested ones because when i did it that way it did not even turn on. i read somewhere else that when u twist the yellow and red one together and touch the honda wires one at a time it should turn on with the key off and that is the constant wire that should be connected to the radio yellow wire. then the red wire should be with the red and yellow wire but i dont seem to have the factory White w/ Yellow Stripe. im just trying to do it this way because its an older and im pretty sure an installation shop would charge at least 100 to do that.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

straight from the tech sheet.. hope this helps.

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Blue/White
Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Yellow/Red
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Black
Radio Dimmer Wire: n/a
Front Speaker Size and Location: 6 1/2″ Doors
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Black
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Red/Green
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Black
Rear Speaker Size and Location: 6″ x 9″ Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Gray/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Red/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/White

Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You could cut the radio plug out of a parts car and splice it back to your harness. Then install the radio conventionally using a harness adapter. This will make it MUCH easier the next time you want or need to replace your radio.

Check the 7.5 Amp "back up" fuse under the hood; it supplies constant power to the radio and is probably blown if someone has cut the wires.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

thanks sounds like just what i needed. i will try tomorrow as in buying the harness and connecting it to mine i was going to do that but when i bought the dash from junk yard their car's wire was also cut off

Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

questionis there anywhere online where i can buy the honda factory harness ? the one that connects to aftermarket harness on radios

Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
HCF Member

Well i think metra Makes one. i just can't remember the part number off the top of my head.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

dam that really sucks was anything else stolen or damaged .do you have a alarm or insurance for that particular purpose .

Quick Reply: stereo installation