Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

System. What to buy first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Default System. What to buy first?

Hey. OK I don't know very much about car systems, but I do know that I love music and that I want my system to sound better then it does now.. I have a 2005 Civic Coupe SE, came with that 6 disk changer and what not... Anyways my question is, I eventually want an entire system, but I'm not a doctor or Lawyer so I can afford an entire one right now. So, is it OK to upgrade one component at a time? And if so, which should I do first that will give me the best noticeable difference? And in what order do U guys recommend me do it in?? THnx~

Old 08-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Default RE: System. What to buy first?

i dont know what the '05 model has in it but usually speakers are a noticeable upgrade. Factory ones are usually crap. If you are going for low cost then look at some 3 ways from Pioneer or Sony. Then I would look at a small 4 channel amp with speaker level inputs so you can keep your stock head.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:04 AM

I've got a 2005 EX coupe SE. The first thing I did was install the two 10" subs from my old car. This was probably not the best way to go because the bass overwhelmed the stock speakers. Then I replaced all six interior speakers and stuck an Alpine amp under my passenger seat. I want to keep the stock six disc changer, but the lack of EQ ability is a killer. Right now the system doesn't sound too bad. The biggest problem I have is the tweeters pumping out too much high end. If you want to keep the stock cd player I would recommend getting the door and rear speakers first, followed by some subs whenever funds allow.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

I have a 2000 LX, and just put some new pioneer speakers in and notice a huge difference in bass and sound quality. I would upgrade the speakers first, because they may sound plenty good with your stock deck, and they aren't that expensive.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

As one of the big dogs in the audio topic here is my advice: Start with a headunit. It makes one of the biggest impacts in the audio list. Then go speakers. A speaker only reproduces what it is given to the best of its abilities. Now, a head unit will make stock speakers do what they couldnt even dreamed of. Its more effective. Im not going to get into technical details because it will end up being a novel. So case in point, go with the head unit first.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

Hey Remy, What brand or specifics do you recommend for the Head Unit? I bought memphis speakers to replace the factory ones. Is that bad?

Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM

Alpine makes a fine quality headunit, but make sure it has 3 pre-amp outputs and the voltage on those outputs is at least 3V, the higher the voltage the better the quality. I myself own a Kenwood and love it. Top of the line is Eclipse but mega bucks. I picked up my Kenwood MP828 for 250 from etronics.com. An Alpine is gonna run in the 250-300 area as well. I've heard many good things about Pioneer as well. Its gonna depend on your price range really.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

I would simply reccomend Eclipse. I never really have been pleased with Alpine simply because they got the racoon syndrome thing going on to attract idiot customers. The average aftermarket headunit buyer doesnt know what they are doing, any thing that is a decent price and looks flashy or pretty is gonna get bought. Now that out of the way, Eclipse is not always mega bucks. Their entry headunit will run you from $150 to $160. Not too shabby. You could always go to the bay to get it cheap BUT you wont have a warrenty on it nor, the nice little tracking feature (yes, they can be tracked after they are stolen so you can have the last laugh) you get when you buy from a certified dealer. Ray, since you live in the big apple I reccomen Eclipse for you because virtually they cannot be stolen, you aslo get nice stickers with it to go on the car warning theives that the headunit can be tracked, oh yea, they have EXCELLENT sound quality. The next head unit I would look into is a Nakamichi, although they like to run $30- $600. For the buck, Clarion and Blaupunkt arent bad, nor is Alpine after all.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

I'll see how much the head unit (Eclipse) here in NY. Thanks guys.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

Let us know the progress...