New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Default To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic

Hey Civic fans.Here's what.I had a '95 accord V-6.No problems.I simply sold it and bought a '96 VW Passat GLX.I am basically happy with the VW.However,I miss the Honda reliability! I am seriously considering a Civic. I have heard very bad stories about the Civic's air condition systems. As I am in NY and may move soon to Florida,AC is a HUGE concern for me. I have also read on Edmunds.com that the Civic engine is "peppy??" It is only a V-4 127hp.How "peppy" can it be? Please educate me and don't hold back!Thanks.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Default RE: To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic

It's and L4 not a V4, and yes, they can get quite "peppy" if you've got the right motor. For even more "peppiness" engine mods add a lot to the "peppy" factor.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

with a few hundred bucks in bolt-on parts, it will vastly out pep your v-6 accord. and the AC systems havent given me too much trouble. get a lower mileage one and it shouldnt be a problem for quite some time.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Okay...you guys are car savy and I am not at all.I intend to buy an off the line Civic EX and leave it that way.Will it still be "peppy?"I just hate when I can't pull onto a highway fast enough or weak passing power.Would you say a regular Civic has sufficient power for this?

Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Thanks,

What do you mean by "not too much trouble?" I heard the Honda AC systems are weak particularly when it is extremely hot/humid out?? True? I would like to think that in typical Honda style,the AC could run all day every day with no problems.That'show the engines run.Why not the AC?

Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM

The AC unit for the civic is somewhat faulty as in it takes a bit of time to kick in. i got a 96' Civic LX sedan and i love the AC unit man. so freaking cold during summer time and I live in Texas! As for the "engine" for Civics I have to agree that Civics were built for reliability and not so much power. 127 horses for an EX model doesn't even cut it. I mean it would be sufficient on downhills and straightaways but uphill damn it's slow. Also consider getting a 5 spd. if u get an auto it will be a bad choice especially with a civic. happy civic hunting.

-B

Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 PM

get an si and youll be happy. As for the A/C, I've never had any problems with mine. Although I never use it cuz i drive with the windows down.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

the only problem with the AC might be the stupid R-134a refrigerant the government has us using now. chemically, its no good past 105 ambiant air temperature. so you will have about the same effectiveness from any modern car. and a stock ex is no beast, but it will get you on the freeway nicely.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 PM

I have a 94 Civic EX. It has a 1.6L SOHC VTEC which the EX shares with the SI. It actually is pretty fast, I was suprised! The reason for that is mainly that the car is lightweight. As for me, my car has 209,000 miles on it and the A/C still works awesome! I think it's just a matter of some work and some don't work right. The reason for this is back then the A/C systems on them were dealer installed, not from the factory. Basically, you get some random guy in there who doesn't know what he's doing and you have bad A/C

Old 01-14-2005, 11:09 PM
HCF Member

I have a 94 Ex and so far i have no problem with the ac. And i agree that civic were built for economy and reliablity not hp. If you want to get on the highway fast you should get a 5spd then.

Quick Reply: To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic