HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual & Electronics (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Trunk rattle. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/trunk-rattle-2374/)

fast93civic 01-14-2005 09:49 AM

Trunk rattle.

I will be getting my AW1206T sub and my A2200HCT amp installed in the next week or so, and I know trunk rattle will be a MAJOR problem. The amp will be putting out 800watts rms at 2 ohms and I need to know from any one with a dynomatted trunk, on what parts of the trunk must I cover with dynomat and how thick. Is there a way to stop the rattle at all, has any one achieved this?
Thanks!
Andrey

98silvercivic 01-14-2005 12:20 PM

RE: Trunk rattle.

hey im not shure what part u want to cover the most but i know sum one you can call he has been doing systems for like 16 years and been to school for it all and is very good and very smart you can call him and he should be able to tell you,

Hear's his info,

Jeff Jantz @ Caldera audio and video
phone: 1-360-840-9083

when you call him tell him Dustin told you to thanks.

Remmy 01-20-2005 10:06 AM

I just went to the hard ware store and picked up 40 feet of 1/4 aluminum damping. It works fine.

CivicEX98 02-02-2005 04:21 PM

ok here ya go, stopped my rattling, get the egg crate stuff that you would use like under your bed or on your mattress and such from like walmart, kmart, target etc, it's called a bed pad made of egg crate stuff, stuff it in your trunk, up in underneath the plastic, you wont rattle a bit,

Kappa22 02-02-2005 07:22 PM

Also, make sure your rear license plate is screwed on tight, because rattling license plates can bring shame to even the nicest systems.

NTX 02-02-2005 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Also, make sure your rear license plate is screwed on tight, because rattling license plates can bring shame to even the nicest systems.
thats the problem i have. that damn plate!

sacicons 02-02-2005 08:17 PM

put dynamat on the back. but take off the aluminum so that its sticky on both sides. once that stuffs on there, it wont come off.

Super Mario 02-03-2005 12:49 AM

try bending the plate just enought to keep it wedged so that it doesn't move. thats what i did, never hear it rattle, it's screwed too. of course...

Roost3r 02-03-2005 09:27 AM

a few ways that you can do this..the 2 i would do are dynomat or great stuff it. If you are going to dynomat, you want to line the most thin parts of metal in your trunk that are going to flex. places i would recommend are side walls in your trunk(alot of flex), the thin parts of your trunk hood, and under the rear sound deck of your car.

great stuff is a fomy material outa a can. its used to insillate walls in houses.its a liquid in a can that when air is added, turns into a ssticky fome. give it some drying time and it expands and hardens your trunk. makes it sound really really solid. MAKE SURE TO WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER BECAUSE IT IS A B*TCH TO GET OFF AFTER IT DRYS. once your trunk does dry, you can sand,chip, whater overflow you have to make it look better. for my companies 3 show cars, we have used a comb. of both great stuff and dynamat. hope i could help.

CivicEX98 02-03-2005 09:33 AM

like i said, egg crate, better and cheaper than any of the stuff the others have said

Roost3r 02-03-2005 11:24 AM

ur egg creat will work but im sorry, id rather not have food packing products for my audio system..but thats just me :eek:

oh and by the way..great stuff is like $3 at a home depo store...just 1 can fills ur trnk lid

CivicEX98 02-03-2005 03:12 PM

well i would rather not have a can of stuff stuck in my trunk so there ya go

CivicEX98 02-03-2005 03:14 PM

oh and it is not food packing stuff, its the mat you would put on your mattress in your bed to make it softer, duh dude, can ya read

Roost3r 02-03-2005 03:45 PM

alright well either way ud still wanna use a pro. insillator to fill cracks and spaces in your trunk lid. stick with what u know cuz this aint it..

fast93civic 02-03-2005 07:33 PM

Thanks for some great advice guys, Im sure I'll use a combo of these.
Andrey

solidgroove 02-04-2005 02:57 AM

Saftey message: If you use the "Great Stuff" expanding foam invest in a pair of rubber gloves. Great Stuff even when still in liquid form is hard to completely remove even with water. Dry "Great Stuff" will help get rid of that pesky skin on your hands.
You can learn from my mistakes

Roost3r 02-04-2005 11:58 AM

Never had a problem washing it off but thats a good point. makes it even more easy ;)

sacicons 02-04-2005 09:05 PM

and dont spray the great stuff too tight into an area. it will continue to expand a little bit, and could bend something.

grncivicvtec 02-05-2005 01:38 PM

This guy took his trunk off and laid it down and poured fine cement the kind for a garage, down over it in those pockets, and behind the license plate thing, stops the rattling but that is only for like sound quality, If you are going for performance, I would stay with something lightweight, you dont want all that extra weight.

Pete 03-29-2005 02:27 AM

DONT USE THE GREAT STUFF!

I used that **** on my nissan yea the system sounded real good but that **** expands more and more each day.....id get like 3 new dents in the trunk a day for a week......DO NOT USE IT. Get a dynamat trunk kit theyre like 60 bucks.........hope i got to u in time.

GetLayedSkivik 05-02-2005 01:11 PM

i used some "egg crate" type stuff.. but its used to dampen noise in a benz. I put it everywhere, e****ally behind the plastic part that holds the licence plate. works great for me

LEVIII 05-02-2005 02:25 PM

I also hate the great stuff expanding foam garbage. It makes a huge mess and looks horrable and can dent your car. Rockford Fosgate used to make a spray on sound deadner that worked quite well, but I dont know if they still make it. I had a customer once who got his entire trunk sprayed with the bedliner stuff.

I prefer good lo dynomat. If you cover it in the right places you should be able to get rid of most of the rattles and use it on the back of the plate to.

Wheelbroker 05-02-2005 02:42 PM

Man , and Girrls. I'm sure that was all finally settled, Phewww, thought we was gonna get a shoutin match goin there for a few minutes...

I'm sure glad I can take my radio out off the rear view mirror and take her into The Laundermat and Play her there...much easier than all your Dyno-Mattin and your Eggo-Kraten...

Now I realize you all are just dye-in to get at me but DONT!...right my fellow moderators//

Love And Peace..
WheelBroker[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Remmy 05-02-2005 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Wheelbroker

Man , and Girrls. I'm sure that was all finally settled, Phewww, thought we was gonna get a shoutin match goin there for a few minutes...

I'm sure glad I can take my radio out off the rear view mirror and take her into The Laundermat and Play her there...much easier than all your Dyno-Mattin and your Eggo-Kraten...

Now I realize you all are just dye-in to get at me but DONT!...right my fellow moderators//

Love And Peace..
WheelBroker[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Sorry WB, my powers to dont stretch over here in this Honda forum.

Wheelbroker 05-02-2005 02:57 PM

Hey Remmi,
I like your new sign in the Profile area...Looks tight...

WheelBroker

elfreaky70363 06-03-2005 03:15 PM

just want put my 2 cents in, dynamat is proven and reliable, but cant stress enough to tighten the plate down right, make sure you have all the screws in it too, if ur missing one, go to autozone or the hardware store and dish out the 50 cents it costs for another one. that plate will rattle to hell and back if its not tight. sometimes that is all you really need to do as far as rattles go. dynamat will stop that bottoming out sound you get when the thin parts of the trunk vibrate.

fastman90 06-22-2005 01:20 PM

just thought i would add abit of what i've learned...ive helped out one of my friends with some installs and found out a better deadening material than dynamat. It's called eDead, from Elemental Designs. It is actually cheaper than dynamat also. One of my friends has a full Alpine/Xtant system, and had a horrible trunk rattle even with dynamat in, so we took it out and painted in some eDead v3 (a thick paint type of stuff, then layered the rest of his trunk with the eDead v1 SE (exactly like dynamat, xcept about 2x thicker). Now he has absolutely no trunk rattle and his whole system sounds tons better.

eDead site

hope this helps :D

KnightRiderCivic 07-05-2005 08:38 PM

havent really used dynomatt much but for the plate just get some of the little round disc you put under a tv when it is set on wood to keep it from scratching it. it will take away the rattle. i didnt that on all the trunk in my lude and it worked great. i put it between the skeleton of the trunk and the skin and i had no rattle. but ludes have a small deck lid area so you dont get alot of flex in the actual skin itself. its cheap easy and really easy to hide.

skytanker2003 07-18-2005 01:18 PM

I just got ghetto and lazy and figured my own way. I loosened up the loop that the trunk latches onto and lowered it so the lid closed tighter, slightly bent my license plate, and that eliminated most of my rattles. There are just a few internals that I can't get to/don't have the effort to find that rattle, but it is so miniscule you barely notice. Doesn't sound like the whole car is falling apart like some of the cars around. 2 1600W subs in the back, and nearly nothing for trunk rattle. Stingy...yes, and improvement...yes. So win-win.

civictyper2k 07-26-2005 12:20 PM

Get r-blox its just like dynomtt but cheeper

splman75 08-05-2005 12:19 AM

I Really have to add my 2 cents.

Don't half Azz Your installs Do it right the first time.

Ok Great Stuff. It's great for a lot of stuff (hence the name) It's not great for sound deadning material. It will breck down over time and cause more noises then you could ever ask for. We are talking about vibrating parts not stationary doors and windows.

Egg Crates Aka The bed stuff This is also a good quick temporary fix that will cause problems such as breading grounds for all kinds of critters. I don't know about you but I don't want to share my car with anyone let alone some kind of bug or rodent.

CEMENT (OMFG) I'm sorry but anyone who puts cement in their car should be run over with that exact same car. Enough said.

Dynamat , hushmat, any other vehicle specific sound deadning material. Lots of time and testing went into this stuff and it is proven to work. I'm sure if the egg crate, great stuff, cement (LOLOLOLOL) worked they would have just thrown that in a box and slapped a new label on it and sold it to you.

This is how I feel about this stuff it's not everyones thoughts just mine. Ive got about 10 years installing car audio exp. and about 3 years building and competing with car audio cars. And dynamat is good but hushmat is a fraction of the cost and it's the stuff that about 75% of car manufactures use it. It's also used by the military to help reduce vibration.

AFCivic84 08-06-2005 03:15 PM

Has anyone heard of QuietCar? It's this new innovative sound dampening material that can go on ANYWHERE... It's in a liquid form, I believe in a water based kind of paint. I tore out ALL of my interior and "painted" everywhere. this stuff has been tested in many vehicles and has been recorded to effectively lower 20 dB of sound. The quality of the product like most other products depends on how much of it you use. On average you get 5 dB of noise reduction every millimeter of this stuff you spread on so spread it on thick... and for those Frugal mizer types... it's relatively cheap... for 250 dollars you can put some heavy sound dampening on a decent sized truck (think 03 explorer, escalade, etc...) that's a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff it did my entire Civic, a buddy's Silverado, and I still have roughly a gallon left. And like the "Infamous Great Stuff" you can sand it and repaint over it if you choose. Even better, it's light compared to DynoMat. I added maybe 50 lbs to my car (evenly distributed throughout the entire car for racing benefits) and I know I drowned out a good 12 dB for that you are looking at 100lbs of DynoMat . So this stuff is relatively inexpensive, Lighter than most of what is popular on the market and it's easy to apply. I love it and really recommend it.

amg6975 08-22-2005 10:23 PM

For my license plate I just used a couple layers of duct tape on the back. Works great, it was nearly free and you can't see it unless you take the plate off.

maddawg 08-23-2005 10:33 PM

LMAO if that aint the stupidist crap ever so did he get the rear lifted to compensate the added 1000 lbs

ORIGINAL: grncivicvtec

This guy took his trunk off and laid it down and poured fine cement the kind for a garage, down over it in those pockets, and behind the license plate thing, stops the rattling but that is only for like sound quality, If you are going for performance, I would stay with something lightweight, you dont want all that extra weight.

ngoti 8tor 08-24-2005 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: grncivicvtec
WHAT was he thinkin?

maddawg 08-24-2005 01:06 AM

that if he added the weight of a toyota echo he could do a wheelie up hill

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

WHAT was he thinkin?

ngoti 8tor 08-24-2005 01:59 AM

It's helps deaden the sound when you add concrete to the inside of the doors also.

maddawg 08-24-2005 02:19 AM

well i heard that if you just put it in the passenger doors you can take sharper right hand turns

its840 08-30-2005 09:55 AM

for a quick fix for the plate.
take a smaller piece of cardboard and fold it like 5 time
stick it behind the plate.
and bingo problem solved and it only cost 1 minutes or you time
the only down fall is you have to replace it about one a yr.
but........... its free.

xjbmx 09-16-2005 06:14 PM

This reminds me of a guy i used to work with.... he wanted to sound proof his interior so he filled his doors with great stuff. We were on a lunch break so i walked over to his car to check it out and he tried to roll his window down but couldnt because the great stuff was blocking the window track. This is the same guy that JB welded his washer and dryer together to keep them from vibrating. Some people just dont think!