Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

underglow wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
HCF Member
Default underglow wiring

hey there fellas. so i got these underglow tubes from a buddy, they came off his mustang. but it was just the tubes. each tube has a big black wire coming out each end of the tube. i'm just wondering if anyone knows what else i need to wire these up, resistors or anything like that.

thanks guys!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
February 2010 ROTM

LED or neon? brand name? is it sunny or dark outside? and what did you have for breakfast? all questions that need to be answered before help is given

Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

they are neon, and the company is low glow. thats all the info i have since it wasn't me that actually purchased them. anything else just ask

i mean i'm pretty good with wiring and stuff like that, but this one has me stumped. its just 1 wire coming out each side, and they have no markings for positive and negative, so i'm lost!

Last edited by AaaronF; 11-25-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

i mounted the bracket onto the front bumper itself, into the steel with self tapping screws. On the rear, self tappers the part where the spare tire sits (underneath obviously), then on the sides mounted the brackets tucked up there where i could with self tappers. Then, i kept the wires tight to the undercarriage of my car and up under my side skirts by my fenders, then up and under teh dash to a switch.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

i know how to mount it and all that... i'm having troulbe with the wiring though. thanks for the help with mounting though.

so, i just looked under the hood of my buddies 'stang, and found somewhat of a transformer, i guess you could call it. it's a box, with 2 of the same size wires that are on the tubes, then a smaller red and white wire. any guesses?

Last edited by AaaronF; 11-25-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

can you seperate the black wire? can you seperate them into a white and red wire?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

i'm thinking that they are just supposed to be wired in series... connected to each other, and then back to the box. all in a big circle. but is it going to matter what end is connected where? if so, there is no way for me to find out by looking at them, any ideas?

sfaz: no, its just one big white wire inside of the outside black coating? so weird. i thought it would be 2 wires inside, but its not.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

to wire the neons like that use a single transformer... you have to basicaly run 1 wire all the way around the car.... basicaly hook up every bulb in series... go in on one side and out the other to the next and so on till your back at the transformer... best to use the neon wire but regular size with agood thickness gauge will work.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need a ballast or transformer box or whatever you want to call it to make neons work. They do not run directly on 12 volts. The voltage on these bulbs is hundreds to thousands of volts, so all wires and connections need to be well-insulated.

Once you have a ballast, connect all the bulbs in series in a loop that starts and ends at the ballast. Connect the low-voltage wires on the ballast to 12 volts and ground from the car.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

perfect. ya thats what i thought. it doesn't have a ground wire, but it does have a metal hanger, to bolt it to the car, i'm thinking that is ground. then the red wire will be the 12 volt, but i'm still not sure what the white wire is for? any ideas?

Quick Reply: underglow wiring