Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

underglow wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM
HCF Member

this is blowing my mind. and it is really furstrating

Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

get a picture of the ballast... most cheaper transformers use the mounting bracket for the ground.

the 2 FAT wires with thick insulation on the wires is your neon wires. very easy
if ya need alot of wire then buy it new just measure all the way around your car and buy that much cable.... the size offset from the bulbs will compensate for any okward wiring routing you typicaly need to do around objects under the car
http://www.oznium.com/gto

just remember IF YOU INSTALL the underbody lights PLEASE HIDE THE BULBS!!! hiding the bulbs is very easy and can actualy save the life of the bulbs! get some L or U shaped aluminum channeling and zip tie the bulbs to the channeling and paint the channeling black so it disapears under the car....
lets you mostly hide the lights during the day and night and also keeps you legal in some states.... and hides the RICE look of the bulbs being visable..... and main reason is to protect the bubls... if a rock is fliped up by the tire or other road debri and it hits the glass tube the neon inside can EASILY SHATTER and be junk..... trust me ive used a few neons back in the past... but you must know that neons are oldschool! new school is all about LEDs. they use less power. and ALOT HARDER TO BREAK!!!!
you can buy U or L channeling at most hardware stores like home depo/ lowes i know for a fact.

leds are a much better choice and can be bent led flexstrips RULE ALL OTHER!!!
and come in 6ft lengths
http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips
Name:  ledflex013.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  leds005.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  26.3 KB
http://www.oznium.com/gto

Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

when i wired my neons (not LEDs), i just ran like 16 gauge wire from the box that had 4 outputs to each of the neons. Then on the other side where the other two wires came out, i wired those to the switch, nothing to do with ballasts and transformers, just a 12v and a ground. Are you sure they need to be wired in a series? A picture of the transformer box would be helpful.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya if your neons had internal transformers then yes you would just have 2 small wires coming out of one side only.

those are weaker neons.... low transformer voltage
higher power/brighter neons use a external transformer something like this.... several variations of transformers but all pretty similar!

i used to have some just like this on my old 66impala... my first UB lighting... paid to have some blue custom blown neons to fit my impala great and also some channeling to hide the bulbs at a old car show i was showing at... after i paid them like 150bucks to install the kit and after looking at it... i was like O COME ON... thats so easy to install..... and well ive never paid to have UB lights installed again.LOL same with alarm install best buy did on my 66impala.

now im all about flexable led strips from oznium... water proof and can twist into any shape for a true corner to corner UB lighting. ill finish the UB lighting sometime next month......

Last edited by addiction2bass; 11-28-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

your right addiction, i've seen those higher quality neons with transformers before, these were $50 eBay neons that i was dealing with

Old 11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
HCF Member

oh okay, thanks addiction. do you have any idea what the white wire is for, i'll get a picture of the transformer tonight, and hopefully that will help! I know how fragile these bulbs can be, so i got my uncle to make some hard plastice tubes for the blubs to fit in, they are really slick. So i think i will get some L brackets to hide those side bulbs, but i just need to understand how to put them on properly so it looks good. So the blub goes inside the L, and face the bulbs to the inside right. will that not take away from how far the neons shine like, towards the outside of the car? i have never seen it before so im just wondering! thanks guys.

i also wanna get some of those led strips for my wheel wells, will they work for that?

Last edited by AaaronF; 11-28-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think if you have only one heavily insulated wire from your ballast, that should go to one end of the first neon, and the other end of the string of bulbs would return to ground.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

channeling the lights doesnt effect light out put...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

mk: there are 2 heavily insulated wires coming from the ballast, so i should be fine there, and im sure the bracket is for the ground. The red wire is clearly the 12 volt wire, but there is still a white wire that i'm not sure what it does.

On closer inspection, i took some of the electrical tape off of the white wire, and it has never been used what so ever. so i guess everything is all set! thanks so much for all the help guys

Last edited by AaaronF; 11-29-2008 at 02:44 PM.