Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Volume Knob-98 Honda Civic LX

Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Default Volume ****-98 Honda Civic LX

Hey everyone.

My Wife's Honda radio volume **** is on the fritz... While turning the radio up, the volume goes down and while turning the radio down, the volume goes up.. Or vice-versa. I'm thinking the radio is toasted. Anyone have similar issues?

p.s. this radio has the CD changer in the trunk... cassette player is down below on the center console.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Volume ****-98 Honda Civic LX

The volume **** is doing the same thing in my 1997 Civic. The set up is pretty much similar to yours, factory deck, cassette deck by cup holders, and Alpine CD changer in the trunk.

Plus, on top of that, the keyless system isn't working properly either. It takes anywhere from 6 to 20 pushes of the button to lock or unlock the car.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Hmmm..Well guess its good to know that its not just an exclusive fluke thing.. Anyone else out there know the potential solution to this? now that we have 2 members with the same issue I'm probably just going to replace the radio here shortly with a bare-bones alpine..nothing fancy....

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

I have the same problem with my setup (same as yours). The volume thing doesn't happen all of the time though, only when I try to turn my volume up or down really fast. I haven't a clue as to what that is.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

I am planning on replacing the radio and installing an aftermarket alarm. I installed an Alpine CDA-9885 in my other car, and I became extremely spoiled with hooking my 80 gig iPOD up to it! I think CD changers are obselete now!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

I absolutely agree with you. I have to use the tape deck adapter for my ipod touch, and I don't even use the cd player anymore. I eventually plan on getting an aftermarket alarm system, so once that goes in I'll be changing out my factory deck and speakers.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:14 AM

My '97 Honda Civic does the exact same thing. I don't have a CD changer, though, just the head unit with a CD player down by the cup holders. However, the factory keyless entry quit working about six months after we bought it 2 years ago, and the dome light doesn't come on when the passenger door is open (driver's side works fine). I know that these are run through the factory stereo, so does that mean that the stereo is messed up when it comes to keyless entry? It was the first car that my wife and I ever had with keyless entry. . . we thought we were finally living the good life

Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sprinx

...However, the factory keyless entry quit working about six months after we bought it 2 years ago, and the dome light doesn't come on when the passenger door is open (driver's side works fine).
Check whether fuses 14 and 28 under the dash are blown. Check whether the black ground wire from the keyless receiver in the audio unit is connected.
Is the battery low/dead in the transmitter?

Check the dome light switch for the passenger door.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gunz4me

Plus, on top of that, the keyless system isn't working properly either. It takes anywhere from 6 to 20 pushes of the button to lock or unlock the car.
Have you tried replacing the battery in the transmitter?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RonJ

ORIGINAL: gunz4me

Have you tried replacing the battery in the transmitter?
That was my thought on the "6 to 20 pushes" problem as well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volume Knob-98 Honda Civic LX