Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Volume Knob-98 Honda Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Volume ****-98 Honda Civic LX

ORIGINAL: RonJ

ORIGINAL: sprinx

...However, the factory keyless entry quit working about six months after we bought it 2 years ago, and the dome light doesn't come on when the passenger door is open (driver's side works fine).
Check whether fuses 14 and 28 under the dash are blown. Check whether the black ground wire from the keyless receiver in the audio unit is connected.
Is the battery low/dead in the transmitter?

Check the dome light switch for the passenger door.

I checked those two fuses (and I pulled the fuse marked RADIO from under the hood to reset the radio), but still nothing. If I wanted to check the dome light switch for the passenger door, what would be the easiest way to do that? I know where it is; do I need to remove it? It clicks when I push on it. I can't find it right now, but I remember reading (on a forum somewhere) when I bought the car that if you removed the radio, the keyless entry would stop working and the passenger side door would not activate the dome light. Can anyone else corroborate this?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sprinx
If I wanted to check the dome light switch for the passenger door, what would be the easiest way to do that? I know where it is; do I need to remove it? It clicks when I push on it.
Remove the switch. First inspect it for damage and verify that the green wire is still connected. If necessary, you can compare it with the respective driver's door switch that works. If all looks fine, use a test light to verify that the green wire is receiving battery power. This is done by touching one probe of the test light to an exposed metallic part of the green wire and the other probe to a convenient metallic part of the body frame. If the test light turns ON, as expected, replace the switch.

I can't find it right now, but I remember reading (on a forum somewhere) when I bought the car that if you removed the radio, the keyless entry would stop working and the passenger side door would not activate the dome light. Can anyone else corroborate this?
The control unit for the keyless entry system is definitely integrated into the stereo receiver.

1) Is the battery in the transmitter fresh and was the transmitter properly activated when the battery was replaced (see pictures below).

2) If you rule out the transmitter (essential for next step), then do the keyless receiver control unit input test described in additional pictures below. You will need a multimeter. This test will localize the problem to a specific component versus the control unit itself.

Name:  picture_0937.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  picture_0941.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  picture_0942.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  picture_0938.jpg
Views: 6146
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  picture_0939.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  picture_0940.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  46.8 KB

Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM

I reprogrammed it using the instructions from the Honda Service Manual, and now it works great! I did have to actually hold down the valet switch while I pushed the button on the transmitter (the manual makes it seem like the valet switch is released once the actuators click). The passenger side door still doesn't activate the dome light, but I think maybe I never noticed that before because thedome light comes on when the doors are unlocked via the transmitter. So, that must be a completely separate problem that just seemed to occur at the same time that the transmitter stopped working. It's kinda weird that it quit working when it did, because I didn't change the CR2025 battery or anything (until yesterday, anyway).

Sorry if I hijacked this post. My volume **** still does the same thing that fatstrat02 was complaining about, unless I turn it reeeaallly slowly. It's pretty annoying, especially when my wife is talking to me, and I want to hear what she is saying, so I try to turn the radio down while she's talking. . . and it gets louder and I look like a jackass=) But now I can replace the radio and shove this one back in the dash to keep the keyless entry.

Thanks so much everybody, especially RonJ!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Easy fixes are always nice!

My guess is that the switch for the dome light on your passenger door is bad. It'll be pretty easy to test and fix.

The volume **** on my radio has the same quirk. I think that the radio would need to be replaced to fix, which I don't think is necessary as it's more of an annoyance than anything else.