Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where do you run your cables?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Default Where do you run your cables?

I want to take an rca cable from the deck to the trunk as well as a usb cable from where the deck is to the trunk. . .where do you route cables?

Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Default RE: Where do you run your cables?

you have to take the side panel off in the backseat and along the floor on either the driver or passenger side. the cables run underneath the carpet and running board.....not sure if i'm explaining it clear enough. you will need to run the rca cable and the "blue" wire (which attaches to the antenna wire on the deck and turns the subs on when the stereo turns on) on one side of the car and the power cable on the other.

I'M NO EXPERT AND I COULD BE WAY OFF ON THIS.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 AM

If you are going to run an amp, you will also need power to the back..
I would run your power wire on the same side as the battery , you will need to take the trim panels off and pull the carpet back. run it along the side, place the carpet back over it, and put your panels back on.. then along the other side, run your "umbilical" you should run your RCA cables, your USB, remote (usually blue coming off the deck) and also speaker wires if you are running an amp to your mids/highs as well should be 2 lengths of speaker wire ( one for left and one for right) I usually put this set of wires together using black wire loom, and electrical tape. or you can just wrap it in electrical tape.. These are the easiest ways to keep all the wires together. and not having to run them separately down the side of the car.. and just like the power wire. you will need to pull the panels, peel back the carpet, and run the wires..

Hope this helps a little..
HD

Old 04-26-2006, 11:47 AM

HMD is right....if your just going to run subs via an amp and no mids or highs. However if you decided that you were gunna throw a 4 channel amp or something back there for your mids and such, then I would personally reccomend running it like this:

Battery side of the car (should be passenger on most if not all civics):

Power, remote line (for turning on and off the amps via the head units antenna/remote line) And any speaker wires that you can get away with.

Opposite side (should be drivers side)

RCA or motorola cables (whichever you decide to call them) and USB.

Here is the reason....

EVEN IF you bought the highest quality super shielded $500.00 RCA cable you will still run into that annoying buzzing and hissing sound if you ran the signal cable (RCA) on the same side as the power....the power cable, when under full load (IE your stereo is turned up) will emit a magnetic field that can interfere with your signal to noise ratio and therefore produce way more noise than you would want.

If you cannot get away from running a speaker wire across the signal cable, purchase some mylar film, from a DIY shop and wrap the cable several times at the crossover point. This will not eliminate the noise problem but can greatly reduce it if properly done.

Another issue regarding noise is to MAKE SURE you have a proper ground. On any system that I have installed that used amplifiers for the mids and highs, and even just subs, or LOC's (regarding the budget of the person I was doing the install for) I would run a ground cable, (the same size/gauge as the power) from the negative side of the battery to the trunk along with the power.

NOTE: The ground can be ran along the same side of the car as the power.

At this time I would also replace any ground straps/wires that are factory on the car. Why? Well installing an aftermarket high wattage amplifer in your car therefore is going to put a hell of a lot of amp draw on the already ancient grounding system...if of course the car is not brand new. But it wouldnt hurt to upgrade the grounding system. I can speak from persoanl experience, that if you want clarity and little to no distortion at ANY volume level, then tackling the ground sytstem is a MUST.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

Wow, props to TonyMore, i was just goint to say the exact same thing, except i would have said it more along the lines of...

"Run Rca/input/usb on the opposite side as power wires, otherwise you will get a really annoyinh hissing sound" lol

Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Fastman is right, I shouldnt have used so much space. Sorry.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:08 PM

yea you always want to run your power cables and rca/speaker wire/cables as far away from each other as you can.. otherwise you might get some distortion.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM

any 2 cables running side by side carrying an electronic signal creates an antenna( i.e. the hissing)

Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Your probably all gonna kill me for saying this, but if ya want to cut time and ur just doin a sub amp off of 8 gauge or smaller wire, u can run everything together to save time. Like i said youll probably all kill me, but ive worked at a car audio garage for 4 years, and whenever were doin just a small sub add on, you dont usually get the altornator whine, but if you ever...EVER amp highs, i totally agree, get them as far apart as possible. Good luck with the install!