Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where to put OEM head unit?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
HCF Member
Default Where to put OEM head unit?

I'm finally getting around to putting my head unit into my '97, and since I have keyless entry, I need to keep my factory head unit hidden somewhere in the car.

Where do I put it?

I ask because I got the harnesses from Crutchfield, and after I put the new head unit in, along with all the wiring, there doesn't seem to be much space behind the console where I can put the OEM one. I already removed the face plate and rear mounting bracket to make it smaller. I'm half tempted to remove the OEM CD player (below) and hide it in there.

Anyway, just looking to see where you guys have found space to put it. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

ive seen a lot of people put it in the glove box, but in my opinion that is annoying and looks bad when you open it, i would suggest trying to wire it to the trunk/under rear seats

Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

I'd thought of those, too. I was actually playing with it a bit today, and got it to fit behind the center section, but it would block the power adapter. I think once I remove the OEM CD player in the center console, that will allow enough room for it to sit lower, and have it all clear with no problems. I left the wires on the harness pretty long, so I think it'll reach with no problems.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

And that's exactly what I did.

Removed the OEM CD player, and that opened up all kinds of room to fit the OEM head unit into. It even clears the power adapter, and the keyless entry works as it should.

I need to fabricate a trim plate for the center console (where the CD player was), but otherwise, it all went back together with no drama, and room to spare.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

awesome, glad to hear it worked out, and thats probably the best place for it so it will never end up in the way somehow.

I am also thinking of a way to make a new center plate, but for the whole center console. Im gonna try to mount a custom touch screen, but the more i think about how to do it, the more i think ima have that part done by a shop, heh.

Let me know how you get it done!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like a cool idea!

The only function mine will have is to be a place to mount my Scanguage II, so it doesn't have to be overly pretty or structurally functional. I'll probably just end up finding a piece of thin plexiglass (or pebble-finish ABS plastic, if I can find it), trim it to fit, and glue it in place.

As an aside, I discovered that the OEM CD player is about 1/4" narrower (if looking from the top) than a single-DIN head unit. I thought they were the same size until I found that I needed to re-use the mounting brackets for the CD player in order to put the center console back into the car.

Last edited by ChristianL; 01-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ChristianL
As an aside, I discovered that the OEM CD player is about 1/4" narrower (if looking from the top) than a single-DIN head unit. I thought they were the same size until I found that I needed to re-use the mounting brackets for the CD player in order to put the center console back into the car.
So it wouldnt rest back in properly without the bracket? meaning that it is just lined with metal? if youre gonna mount the Scangauge down there then it sounds like it wont matter too much. My car doesnt have that CD player, just a pocket about the cup holder heh. And i have never seen one of those scan gauges, but they look pretty dope.

I was looking at something like this: Amazon.com: Crescent USB OBD2/EOBD Multi-Protocol Car Diagnostic Tool Auto Scanner: Automotive
To put in my car to do similar things.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
So it wouldnt rest back in properly without the bracket? meaning that it is just lined with metal?
Yes, kinda. Once you remove the outer trim panel for the center console, you're left with the CD player (or cubby, in your case) and the cup holder. These are held together, and attached to the dash frame, by the same bracket that holds the CD player. I didn't play with it too much, but I think you'd probably have a hard time getting those two to fit correctly and securely without using that metal bracket. In my case, I could have just unbolted the CD player, and slid it out. But I got removing a bunch of the hidden screws, and that's when I discovered how it all went together.

My car doesnt have that CD player, just a pocket about the cup holder heh.
If you ever decide you don't want it, then please click here.

I was looking at something like this: Amazon.com: Crescent USB OBD2/EOBD Multi-Protocol Car Diagnostic Tool Auto Scanner: Automotive
To put in my car to do similar things.
Actually, that just seems to be just a diagnostic tool that, given the USB port, probably goes to a PC or phone.

Definitely save up for the Scanguage. Diagnostics are just one part of what it does. I keep mine mounted and in use all the time, since I can use it to read about 20 different gauges and parameters of the car. It'll display info in real time for up to 4 gauges, so I typically keep it on water temp, air intake temp, average fuel economy and current MPG. It'll also tell you RPM, speed, horsepower (take with a grain of salt), throttle position, load, voltage, and a ton of others. It's been waaaaaaay more useful over the years than I could have imagined when I got it initially.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 AM
HCF Member

If you ever decide you don't want it, then please click here.
Actually, if i end up placing my monitor somewhere over there, i would gladly give the cubby away, but alas that is not when i PLAN to put it.

Actually, that just seems to be just a diagnostic tool that, given the USB port, probably goes to a PC or phone.
PCMSCAN - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
software software software, i plan on putting the screen in my car for a pc ill be mounting the trunk.

But I am glad to hear you got your OEM head unit stuffed back there successfully, success stories always motivate me to start actually working on my car haha. If you are interested in the car pc i am forming, ill be keeping its status update on my project thread