Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

XM Radio???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
HCF Member
Default XM Radio???

I'm looking to get one. I've got a few questions though. Who has them and likes them? Is there a problem with reception at all? Is it worth it? Any other details you would like to add? Thanks!!!

Old 04-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Default RE: XM Radio???

I just bought one, and I hate the Xm. Honda will only mount the antenna on the inside of the front windshield and the reception is horrible. Everyone I have asked or called doesn't understand why they mount it there but no one in the Ny/Ct area can figure out how to mount the antenna on the roof and still use the factory radio.

Anyone know how to ?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

my buddy has it and mounted on his windshild..he loves it, when ever i drove with him i never noticed any thing with the reception, he also has it connected strate into his aftermakit deck, sounds way better

Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 AM

i have a xm system in my car, it gets good reception. it will get a second of static if you go under a bridge sometimes. i don't listen to it that often though, because the station programming isn't as great as they say, its like regular radio but they have a larger song rotation so after a few days you start to hear the same crap over and over, and they do start to overplay the newer stuff just like radio. but i do say it is great for driving cross country because they are coast to coast, and you never have to change stations

Old 04-25-2006, 02:28 PM

You can go of two routes. If you want something you can listen to in your car and in your home, you can get one of the portable units. Now when I say portable, I don't mean portable with headphones, but move form car to car, home to car, etc. You can use your factory stereo with one of these that will transmit through an fm station. I would recommend a wired in fm transmitter. What this does, is when your xm radio is on, it srambles all other fm stations. Sounds very good and if you want to keep your factory stereo, it would be the best thing. Now, if you want to replace your stereo or if you already have an xm ready radio, you can buy a terk universal box and the correct adapter that is stereo specific, and it will transmit straight throught your stereo. It sounds the best. And as far as the antenna goes. I run my antenna down through the weather stripping by the windsheild into the car. use a butter knife.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

I have an FM modualted Sirus unit right now and it's nice but can get some static. I drove around an '06 accord with the built-in XM and the antenna was on the roof. Sounded awesome and never missed a beat. Sirus vs. XM is a Chevy vs. Ford battle so I'm not guna say which to get. My '06 civic is XM ready so when I get some extra $$$ that's what I'm guna get....I don't recomend the FM modulated units though unless it's your only option.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Ei8

Definitely recommend a XM unit that is connected straight to the stereo (factory or aftermarket). It will sound better than a device that is connected thru a FM modulator.

I have XM on 3 of my cars and does not have any problems at all. Every now and then, when you go thru a tunnel, you'll lose 1-2 seconds worth of reception...other than that, you'll have no problems.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 PM

I have both and I never even turn the XM on anymore. Only reason I ever did anyway was for O&A and they have just been sucking lately and are going back to boring terestial radio.

I would deff suggest SIrius of the 2.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

what channels do you get with this radio???

I know someone who has one and he gets all these channels from the United States, but he has to pay monthly. I think it's like 14 bucks or something a month.