Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

Attention all AUTOCROSSERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Attention all AUTOCROSSERS

This comes from a local forum here in Jersey.

This is a warning to everyone.
I just got off the phone with my insurance company (Geico) and they informed me that as of the end of the month my insurance policy is being cancelled. Why might you ask I haven't had an accident. No moving violations in several years.
The answer:
"We have found out that you have participated in time trial events."
I tried to reason with the lady, and explain to her that I haven't even autocrossed with my Subaru (the car I have insured with them) and that the SCCA has their own liability insurance for their events. She told me it didn't matter there was nothing she could do and that it was final as of 12:01 AM Jan. 28 2008 I would no longer be covered.
I guess they searched results on the internet and found my name. I have heard of this being a problem with warranties in the past but after 4 years of autocrossing with my other company (Liberty Mutual) I had never had a problem.
So I am writing here to warn all of you that if you have Geico, cancel your policy now. They do not respect us for what we do, and therefore I believe do not deserve a single dime from anyone.
I can see why they might hesitate with this issue as some people can't leave it on the track, but the vast majority of autocrossers are responsible enough to not do this. If anything we are lowering the accident rate through improving our driving skills.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Attention all AUTOCROSSERS

lol yeah this has been going around, sucks. whats great is that ur alot more likely to get into a hairy situation driving just like a mile to the event than actually having something happen at the event. thanks insurance compaines for rewarding us on becoming better/safer drivers

also something else that happened was a national level mini cooper driver had his warranty voided even after having been told by the head of the Mini USA Motor Sports division that wouldnt happen...
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com....php?p=1982335

makes me glad i dont have Geico or a Mini

Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Cat Fuсker

Know about it, Geico sucks! I actually went to my insurance agent and got a written assurance that this will not happen to me. Good thing I don't have Geico.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Wow this does suck, thanks for the warning...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

lol yeah this has been going around, sucks. whats great is that ur alot more likely to get into a hairy situation driving just like a mile to the event than actually having something happen at the event. thanks insurance compaines for rewarding us on becoming better/safer drivers

also something else that happened was a national level mini cooper driver had his warranty voided even after having been told by the head of the Mini USA Motor Sports division that wouldnt happen...
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com....php?p=1982335

makes me glad i dont have Geico or a Mini
MINI is usually ultra chill about mods and racing and stuff. Sounds like the service manager at that dealership sucks. The dealership I go to in San Diego doesn't care that my car is molested to crap, they still do the free maintenance and any warranty things I need. When I bought it I actually got a coupon for a discounted SCCA membership.

But, I've heard stories like this from about every make. And to be honest, if someone obviously races the wheels off their car would you replace their clutch for free?[8D]

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
HCF Member

but the point is that he had already been told it woulnd't by a higher up in the company.