Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

AUTOCROSS Classing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
March 2010 ROTM
Default AUTOCROSS Classing

So I know no one ever posts in here. But this will be my first season in autocross. We have 5 point events within 30 min of my house! But my question is, which class do I belong in? I have been told a few different things and have read different things on different sites.

Car Ill be using: 2000 Civic Hatchback
Mods: B18b1 swapped, upgraded clutch, upgraded suspension, 16 inch wheels with street legal tires, I/H/E, high flow cat.

Im kinda disappointed in the autox participation of this forum. lol I figured more of you would be into it.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by plethoric33
So I know no one ever posts in here. But this will be my first season in autocross. We have 5 point events within 30 min of my house! But my question is, which class do I belong in? I have been told a few different things and have read different things on different sites.

Car Ill be using: 2000 Civic Hatchback
Mods: B18b1 swapped, upgraded clutch, upgraded suspension, 16 inch wheels with street legal tires, I/H/E, high flow cat.

Im kinda disappointed in the autox participation of this forum. lol I figured more of you would be into it.
It all depends what club your in...most clubs follow the scaa's rules tho.

Anyways yea im disappointed in that too. Only reason I havent been out is because I got in an accident and need to do some maintance first. But hopefully ill make it out to one in May. Plan on posting a video.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

I autocross on the reg, there's a lot of people on this forum that autocross and have for years.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

Haha i do autox in my uncle's miata, but only once when i visit for the summer. I love it! Its a great outlet

Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
June 2010 ROTM

ditto. I just don't talk about it because I don't compete. I just throw the car around.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
March 2010 ROTM

This is actual scaa point events. I guess I fall into Street Modified. Im doing my first event in mid april. Cant wait! Just sucks to be in that class here...all the cars are rediculous in that class. Everyone with similar cars is in STS...but the motor swap puts me out of it I think.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

Tell me about it, i was forced into street mod for the longest time due to my cf hood. didn't really care though, i just do it as a hobby, it gets expensive when you start competing for points, especially on a college student budget..

Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Thats dumb...lol That hood made such a difference im sure. There are plenty of tires for sale around here...plus I know a guy who works at Goodyear, so I can get all the old tires I want. Other than that it shouldnt cost much.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by plethoric33
Thats dumb...lol That hood made such a difference im sure. There are plenty of tires for sale around here...plus I know a guy who works at Goodyear, so I can get all the old tires I want. Other than that it shouldnt cost much.
\

you shouldnt be putting too much wear on ur tires. You dont want to be screeching around corners lol. But it would be nice to have some extra tires.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Haha, you're so wrong, try going to black lake, the place will eat your tires alive. A good set of sticky tires should only last a couple autox's if you're truely driving. When you track it, that's another story. about a 1-1.5 hour session at a track will do some damage to tires. even fun runs depending on the event. And tires aren't the only thing that suffer. My buddy used to autocross an m3 and it decreased the life of the car to only a little over 100k miles and it was even well maintained. it's not a drive through the park if you're truely driving. If you autox occassionally, then you don't have to worry b/c you probably won't necessarily push it as much as regular drivers.

as far as the hood, it's not that big of a deal when you're not going for points. But when you go to nationals, then they start to care. If they didn't push the rules, then you'll have evo's and other high performance cars rockin all carbon body panels, and that won't be helpful for anyone in sts or any other class.

Quick Reply: AUTOCROSS Classing