Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

Are there any autoX-ers here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
HCF Member
Question

Thanks a lot!

So, what you said is that 15mm is fine for autoX events?
Is it thick enough?

I think I'll go for 15mm Del Sol sway bar + the Function7 subframe plates, since the subframe braces are $130 and up.
Where may I find those Function7 subframe plates?
I found so far only the subframe brace which is $250.

Do I need any staff from the Del Sol suspension to fit 15mm rear sway bar on my '98 LX?
Do my LCAs have a hole for the sway bar?

p.s.
For now to leave the front sway bar as is, right?

Last edited by Safety_Driver; 06-03-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM

15mm is OK. Idealy a 22mm or larger would be a bit more beneficial but it also depends on spring rates. But the 15mm will do just fine starting out. You may need to call Function7 and ask about the plates.

Your LCA's should have the endlink mounting holes. If you're questioning it, just look under your car and you'll see a small hole in your stock arms near the shock. Aside from the bar itself, you'll just need the d-brackets, bushings, endlinks and hardware. Which should all come with it anyways..

Yeah leave the stock front swaybar. Very few people that AutoX these cars go up to a larger front bar..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

Thank you very much!

Yes, I checked the rear LCR. They have holes as well the subframe has 4 holes (2 left and 2 right) for the D-brakets.

I asked about the other parts because most likely will make a tour around local junkyards for sway bar of a Del Sol or Integra (which I think is 14.7mm) and want to make sure to get everything at once.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
HCF Member
Smile Got the bar, but not the subframe plates

Thanks a lot for your help guys and particularly to civicexracer!!!

I got a 15mm sway bar from Del Sol (vtec).
But I still don't have the two rainforcement plates fro the subframe.
I call Function7 here in IL, and then in AR but no luck.
The Beaks plates are $70 for the set of 4. I think that's a little too much...

I am registered for an AutoX event tomorrow (Sat. 06/18).
Should I install today the bar (for the tomorrow's event) without the subframe plates and then put them later on, or should I wait until get the plates and then install the bar?

Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 AM

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner...

The Beaks Subframe kit is actually the cheapest subframe brace kit you can get as far as I know. The reason it's $70 is because it comes with more parts to ensure subframe protection when using a large bar like a 22mm bar. The Function7 plates I suggested are only good for using OEM size bars. Anything bigger than the 15mm and you would want to use the Beaks kit or Function7s complete subframe kit.

That being said, I wouldn't suggest using the 15mm bar without the Function7 backing plates. It could be fine but it's really putting a lot of stress on the weak subframe and has the potential to tear. Just better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

Thanx!

I didn't install the bar yet.
I need different brackets for the subframe than those the guy sent me from Cali. They will not fit on my subframe. The bar and all other hardware looks great, though. I'll probably use the bolts he sent me. I'll cal Honda to look for two brakets for the bar.
I run the last event as the previous one - with no upgrades on all season tires.
Yes, the max. pressure for my tires is 35psi, that's what it says on the tire.
This time I set the rear on 40 psi and the front first on 38 then 36 psi.

I scored 58.8 sec. on a course that a buddy with BMW M3 scored fastest time - 48.7 with 245 slics.
There was a guy with '97 Civic Hatch (looked stock, just SRI and front strut bar) who did a second better than me on stock 185/65 Falken Ziex.

I have an immense body roll, that even my friends are amazed how I can keep the car on the course.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

The subframe brackets from Del Sol don't fit.
Cannot install the bar.

Will brackets from '99 SI fit?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Ah right, the Del Sol has a slightly different subframe as far as mounting locations... Yeah any brackets from a '96-'00 Civic will work.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy What's wrong?

Got the bracket from '99 Si, right from the dealer,
and also a used set of the Beaks kit.

Does not seem to fit...
What's wrong?
The Beaks kit is not for my car or what?

ALSO one of the thread hole on both planks is damaged.
Should I return the kit to the seller?

Attached Thumbnails Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2368.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2369.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2371.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 AM
HCF Member
Smile Finally Done

The sway bar is installed. :-)

I spent little extra money for sub frame brackets ($40) and reinforcement plates ($30) + the bar ($60). So 15mm rear sway bar from Civic Del Sol (VTEC), brackets from 99 Civic Si, and custom made aluminium reinforcement plates.

One major mistake I made - installed the washers and spring washers from the side of the bolt not the nut. The aluminium plates don't have thread so I have a nut behind.

Car feels much tighter when turning and the rear end squall a little with the old all season tires. I like how the car feels and turns more and easily.

Thanks a lot to all of you and especially to the civicexracer!!!

p.s.
I'll post soon the results from the last autoX event, but there I was with no sway bar.

Attached Thumbnails Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2503.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2539.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2540.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2344.jpg   Are there any autoX-ers here?-img_2286.jpg