Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

What Brakes Should I Get?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Default What Brakes Should I Get?

Need some help here. I have my daughters 1997 HX.
What is the best brand of brakes should i buy for this car? ( front)
Also should I get Ceramic brake pads or not.
Please let me know what you are using..

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

Since it's your daughters car, you'll want to keep it oem (unless she likes performance).

First things first, how many miles are on the car, and what all has been done to the brakes? I'm just trying to figure out whether you need to just get the front rotors resurfaced or replaced. Usually parts places will measure them for you to see if they are within tolerance. If they are within tolerance, then a simple regrind will suffice. (about ~$3x.00) Then just get a set of factory equivilent brake pads from a parts store. Prostop is great, and ebc is also a reputable brand. Can't really give you exact recommendations because different parts houses sell different brands and types, unless you order everything online.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ej6buddy View Post
Since it's your daughters car, you'll want to keep it oem (unless she likes performance).

First things first, how many miles are on the car, and what all has been done to the brakes? I'm just trying to figure out whether you need to just get the front rotors resurfaced or replaced. Usually parts places will measure them for you to see if they are within tolerance. If they are within tolerance, then a simple regrind will suffice. (about ~$3x.00) Then just get a set of factory equivilent brake pads from a parts store. Prostop is great, and ebc is also a reputable brand. Can't really give you exact recommendations because different parts houses sell different brands and types, unless you order everything online.
Thanks for replaying back to me. The car has 112,000 on it.
I just bought it about a month ago. The car was very clean and well taking care of except the brakes do need to be replaced on them.
I called Honda and they wanted $ 52.00
for them, i then called Auto zone and they wanted $23.00 for them.
Let me know where i should buy them from..
Thanks..

Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Are you referring to the brake pads? If so, then it's all your own preference. I would personally go with honda brake pads if they don't gouge you. Reason being is because they are known to last a LOT longer than aftermarket brands. Both will do though, it's just how much you want to spend. It's usually recommended to replace/check all brakes on all four corners. You'll need brake shoes for the rear as well as have a parts store to check the tolerance as well. A Haynes manual is a great tool to have as well if you're new to these types of jobs.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

I would also reccomend OEM...As ej6buddy said, both will do fine, but the OEMs might last long enough to be cheaper in the long run. If you plan on keeping the car, go for OEM. They are also easier on the rotors than aftermarket brands with "increased" stopping power, or ceramic compounds.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Thank a lot you guys youve been a great help...