Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

2000 HONDA CIVIC SI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Default 2000 HONDA CIVIC SI

I own a black SI. I took my car to a body shop to have the bumper painted. I asked the guy if they could wax the rest of the car and he said yes. A couple of days later I picked up my car and everything looked nice. The next day while my car was in the sun I noticed the paint didn't look very good. Once the sun was shining on it, it looked dull and somehow scrached. Not large scraches but tiny ones.

I decided to take the car back to the body shop. The guy said oh don't worry about it, I'll fix it. He said black paint is hard to work with. So he waxed it once again. A few weeks later and after a few car washes the paint on my car looks dull. If it's in the shade everything looks fine but if it's in the sun it looks scrached and dull. Again not large scrahes but tiny ones. It looks worse then when I took it in.

Can anybody help????

Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2000 HONDA CIVIC SI

Got any pics in direct sunlight? It's hard to tell if it's bad paint making it look dull or scratches, swirls, holograms etc. If you use the carwash brush that will definitely contribute to a less than spectacular finish... Usually, a good compound like 3m Perfect it II or Meg's dual action cleaner polish will remove scratches with a little elbow grease or a good polisher. Pics would help a lot though...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM

I'll try to get some pics.
Well the paint is the same one as before. I only had the bumber painted. The rest of the car was waxed and I noticed the swirls/scratches soon after the waxing. I'll put up some pics.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: nivles
I'll try to get some pics.
Well the paint is the same one as before. I only had the bumber painted. The rest of the car was waxed and I noticed the swirls/scratches soon after the waxing.
Oh ok. Then that is the typical dealer swirl job. I wouldn't let a stealership touch my car for free. Never let a dealership detail your car unless you personally know the individual who will be doing the work that knows what they're doing. I've seen so many cars ruined by dealerships, new and old. Check out this article to determine the approach you need. Also an article about more victims of the infamous dealership swirl installation. Best of luck to you...

Defect Removal

Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM

Sounds like he used a filler wax to make it look good for a couple weeks. Typical dealership trickery. You need to get it polished. Cheers.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:49 PM

so your paint wasn't screwed until after the shop touched it? i wonder if they tried buffing the car and possibly burned the paint? i was thinking it was maybe oxidized, but if it wasn't dull looking before you took it to the shop, that kills that idea. i would go raise hell with the first shop and tell them they owe you a new paint job.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 AM

Black cars suck...lol...i work at a dealership in detail and there is not ne thing u can do AT ALL to permantley remove all those hair lines scratches from black paint. The only thing u can do to get rid of all of them is get ur whole car repainted. even washing black cars with the softest and cleanest mits will still scratch them alittle bit. the only thing u can do is wax every two washes and if i were u i would buy and learn how to use a high speed buffer.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 AM

i would actually take a look at this LINK... this ones a keeper. its got lots of good info!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hondaimports30

Black cars suck...lol...i work at a dealership in detail and there is not ne thing u can do AT ALL to permantley remove all those hair lines scratches from black paint. The only thing u can do to get rid of all of them is get ur whole car repainted. even washing black cars with the softest and cleanest mits will still scratch them alittle bit. the only thing u can do is wax every two washes and if i were u i would buy and learn how to use a high speed buffer.
Sorry, not true....first off black paint is no different than anyother paint..it just shows the imperfections better. All paints regardless of color will scratch if not properly cared for. True you will pick up scratches here and there over time just from washing or drying you car but they're so fine 99% of people looking at the car will never see them...waxing the car regularly hides most of them....and they can be completely removed with a buffer. If you repaint a car you have to wet-sand the paint and buff it...most fine scratches in the paint from washing are no deeper than what wet-sanding would create.

nivles...did they hand wax it or use a rotary buffer? Most body shops can't buff for ****! Most likely they just swirled it up with a buffer.