Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Anything to repel dirt/mud from sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Anything to repel dirt/mud from sticking?

quick wax/detailers are not the same. You need to use a REAL wax to get a nice protective coat on your car. Ideally, you'll want to wash it real good, claybar, seal/polish then wax. That will last a nice long time and give you the finish you're looking for

Old 04-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Anything to repel dirt/mud from sticking?

Carnuba waxes provide protection, but not the type that you need. Carnuba is primarily used on show cars because they give a deeper shine to the car's paint, what you need is synthetic wax. Synthetics won't give you the same deep look as a carnuba but they'll last much longer than carnubas (typically only a week or so of protection). I've heard that liquid synthetics last about two-three months, depending on the brand.

What you need is a paste form synthetic wax, it'll last longer and give you the type of protection you're looking for. I haven't experimented with any waxes other than meguiars NXT wax yet, but the liquid NXT wax I have lasts pretty long, and it gives it a pretty good shine, it's a real bang for your buck. I've read good comments about "
Blackfire" waxes, so you might want to look into that. If you still want that extra shine that carnuba waxes give off, you can put on a layer (I'd put three in your case) and then put a layer of carnuba ontop of that, though I don't think it would last long in your scenario. Remember to properly clay bar your ride, polish, paint sealent, then several layers of SYNTHETIC wax ontop. And always remember, thicker layers of wax won't do you any good, you wanteach layer of waxto be thin and evenly spread out.

I'm not an expert with this subject, so you may want to read up more on this stuff.Hopefullythat answers your question, and good luck with those dusty roads[:@]

(BTW: I don't think you want to spend the money but there is a "anti-static" wax out there that repels water, dirt, etc. I wouldn't expect it to completely keep dirt from sticking onto your car, but I'm sure it would work much better than any other waxes out there. I believe it's called "Wolfgang Fuzion", but be warned, one of these will run you about 150$.)