Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 AM
HCF Member
Default Throttle sticking

got an issue, wonder if you all could help me trouble shoot. car is a 2000 civic si, all stock. here's the deal, sometimes the throttle sticks. it has happened to me twice since I got the car (less than 2 months ago) and it happened to my roommate last night when he was driving it. when it happened to me the first time, I felt the car taking off even after I let off the gas, so I put in the clutch at which point the engine shot to redline and started baging off the rev limiter, so i turned the key off. before the engine had stopped turning, I turned the key back on and everything was fine. put it in 2nd and went on my way. The second time was similar, it never seems to stick until it revs high, past 5500. last night, my roommate shifted right around 8K, but the rpms never came down after he let off the gas. he tapped the pedal a couple times, nothing happened, so he turned the key off then back on and it was fine.
This is a little scary, and I wonder where to start looking. I think it is a cable throttle (not electric), so maybe there is some gunk in there and some cleaner would help. beyond that, I have no idea where to even begin looking. never seen a check engine light, so I don't know if there would be any codes in the ECU.
any help is much appreciated

Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Throttle sticking

yeah, it's got a throttle cable. check the return spring, see if you can get it to stick open by hand. (without the car running)

Old 11-02-2006, 10:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Throttle sticking

so I got to stick last night, and could make it happen at will. then I pulled the floor mat back since it had slipped forward, and what do you know, no more sticking throttle. I think it is fixed, thanks for the help.